Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

How can I get my friend to be more aware?

I have a white friend and he just doesn’t get that he’s even remotely privileged in any way. Some examples being he doesn’t understand that most people don’t get $15,000 cars as a first car at 16 or like just normal bias a minority would experience in everyday life. He won’t even admit that life is different for him compared to a black man

If your "friend" is this obtuse (based on your standard for being "woke") maybe you should just distance yourself and not be his friend anymore.

Why are you bothering? Maybe he's tired of people telling him how privileged he is. Perhaps his private life isn't a bed of roses on a personal level despite all the money and acquisitions he's got. He understands as much about your world as you do about his.....nothing. You can only go by your own experience. You didn't get a car when you were 16. You probably had to work hard and save up for one. He comes from a life where savings mean something totally different - so how can he possibly understand. It can't be nice for him to have a friend who is always comparing himself unfavourably with him & his lifestyle. You'd hate it if he did it back to you and pointed out on a regular basis that you come from the wrong side of the tracks and haven't got a Porsche in the garage....or even a garage? A friend of mine came from a privileged family and spoke really nicely. She was what we'd call 'posh'. A lovely girl who was friends with everyone and the boys all loved her because she was very attractive, very personable and classy with it. Every boyfriend she had who came from a different strata of society than she did, loved having her on his arm but just couldn't resist tormenting her about her speech and accent and his friends would do the same. She couldn't understand what she was doing wrong. Why were they being SO unpleasant about the way she spoke? I told her it stemmed from jealousy basically which is what I think it was. She appeared to have everything while they didn't. They didn't know she came from a broken home and although she had riches, she had no warm family life. Stop tormenting your friend if he is a real friend. Value him for what he is.

So what if he don't get? Him getting it isn't going to change your circumstances!

• Robert

This is something you discover generally with lived experience. I was never given a car, I grew up very poor and had to fight for every scrap I was given. However I have seen things which impact ONLY black people simply because they're black. This isn't right. I think where mostly white people get lost in the discussion is the use of the phrase "White Privilege" because it implies there are things you just get for being white, which isn't strictly true. But there are bad things done to black people simply because they're black.

If a black wonders why he does not get good treatment, he should look at the bad actions and chants ["We want dead cops !"] of his distant relatives who lie, cheat, steal, ignore the orders of cops, resist arrest, and try to flee; then scream RACISM when they are not allowed to get their way. "White privilege" is a weak excuse used by the blacks in this country.

Source(s): Pit bulls never bite - LOL !!!
  • mokrie

So why is his being oblivious to life bother you so much? He will gain awareness with time and life. Let it go and live YOUR life.