Mertyl asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

how do I tell my sister that she's disgusting and fat?

My sister just divorced her husband and she is as big as a whale. she could fit my living room couch in her mouth if it was deep fried and covered in butter. How do I tell her to lose the weight and get back on the hunt for men instead of king sized Hershey bars and family sized Doritos?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

It is YOU that is disgusting. YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE ATTITUDE. In other words, YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM, NOT HER.

• 6 months ago

Don't. It is not loving at all. Do. Not do that. This is a scarring time for her, and your role as a brother is to be supportive.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

She's probably depressed, and just wants to relax and enjoy and indulge after a divorce. Maybe just let her relax for a day or two, and then talk about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.

Sometimes, people who indulge in detrimental behaviors do so because they are depressed, or want to get a quick sense of enjoyment, to distract and take a break from their problems, and to gain instant satisfaction out of it, but without wanting to think about the long-term consequences of a bad habit (or the long-term benefits of a good habit). Often, an adversarial and confrontational approach, even if well intentioned, might just make the person more depressed and increase their desire to quickly feel good again. And a quick fix to this problem can come in the form of repeating the addictive behavior. Thus, a demeaning approach can, in certain circumstances, encourage the person to increase their problems. A more supportive, and yet firm approach may be better.

One Hershey bar is not a problem, but beginning a habit of regularly eating Hershey bars can be a huge problem. Maybe allow it once, but not again. It's possible to be honest, and yet speak in a respectful and constructive manner. Leave healthy food within easy sight and easy reach of a person passing by the kitchen (as a constant reminder), and leave unhealthy food covered and out of sight far in the back of the pantry, where it can be accessed on rare occasions but is not a constant temptation. Alternatively, you could set an example by starting a diet and exercise lifestyle with her, to experience the benefits yourself.

Source(s): Blessed enough to go to school
  • 6 months ago

Not really your job to tell her that, is it? Don't you think she already knows?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.