Keep fantasising my family dying?

It's just over a week from marking six yeas since my mum died, and I'm guessing that because of that I keep imaging my dad and/or brother dying and me having to deal with the aftermath. Like I imagine getting a call saying they died in a car accident, and me having to organise funerals, sort out bank accounts, go to solicitors, etc.

I know it's really ****** up to imagine such a thing, and that I should cherish what I have at the moment but it keeps coming across my mind.

Any idea what I should do about it, or why I'd imagine such a thing?

Hello,

Remember: the past does not equal the future.

That is a famous saying of Tony Robbins, if you've ever come across him?

It's a horrible thing, losing your mom like that, and the grief is heartbreaking.

I imagine, due to the mental pain of the grief, your mind is preparing itself for future trauma, as a means of a defence mechanism. So your brain is building this 'image' up as a means of a defense against any future 'attacks'.

You're likely never going to be truely over what happened in regards to your mother, and so your mind is still fortifying itself. And, as this is near the anniversary of her death, it is something that has been on your mind more than usual, naturally.

But remember, that your father and brother are more than likely going to be fine for the foreseeable future. The past does not equal the future.

I'm not a qualified mental health professional, so take my response with a pinch of salt, but if you feel like its getting worse to a point where talking openly about it with your father and brother doesn't help - I would then suggest you seek professional help, just to put you at ease.

Anyway, take care and I hope that helps.

• Adey Meister9 months agoReport

Hi,

Hope you're feeling a little better now. And thank you for the Best Answer and 5 star review.

Take care of yourself.

i would just try not to think like that, for all you know they could outlive you

We all think about that, It's normal. Aren't we all told to make wills, do estate planning, etc? If you feel you are obsessing over it, keep busy to distract yourself. Sorry about your mom.

It's just an intrusive thought, dude. Your thoughts don't reflect who you are, and they might not mean anything. Intrusive thoughts only reoccur and bother you if you keep giving them importance. Just dismiss it as what it is, an intrusive thought.

If the logistics of organising a funeral really bothers you that much, perhaps ask your dad about funeral insurance. Otherwise don't worry. Like I said, it's just a thought.