Is it rare for African Americans to live past 85?

I ask this because both of my grandparents are in their late 80s and according to the internet, African American life expectancy is around 78. Does that make them a rare case? Serious replies only and please don't say stuff like "you better prepare because you might be losing them soon."

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

I'd say it's not rare, especially if they're female. Life expectancy is 82.3 for women in the U.S., which means that half of them live up to that age or longer.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No,

Ťhė âvėrage human lifespan is about 8O giv

or take I5 yrs for humans living in developd

countris but ppl can die at any given âgė ťôô.

• 1 year ago

As Brother X points out, most of us don't make it past 85 no matter what we look like. But these "actuarial" statistics that you're concerned about don't mean a THING when you consider any particular individual. What's important there is the individual's heritage (how long your respective great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents and their siblings lived), plus your grandparents' lifestyle (are they eating right/are they skydiving?) and - most important - your grandparents' current health. Those three factors are much more likely to give you a meaningful forecast of their longevity, than some statistics drawn up to vaguely apply to a huge number of very different people.

• 1 year ago

It's relatively rare for anyone to live past 85 but the African-American is a direct descendant of the Original Man and we know that he used to live for centuries so if anyone is going to live past 85 in the USA the likelihood is it'll be the one who descends from the Original people of the earth.

It's because we're in the USA that it's rare, the diet, pollution and stressful lifestyle is what makes 85 seem like a great milestone but minus that and we'd average 95 I reckon.

May Allah be with your grandparents and bless their days.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Life expectancy is 78.... which means the average... many will live longer than that to make up for the ones that die before that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.