Do you have a poetry book recommendation for someone previously not interested in poetry but would like to learn?

I have never had much interest in poetry - I just didn't get it. But Steven Colbert and Marc Maron talking about it on the WTF podcast recently has me wanting to try reading it again. I need a good, accessible book of poems to serve as an entry point.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I would recommend the poems of Shel Silverstein. He's probably best known for writing Dr. Hook's On the Cover of the Rolling Stone, Sylvia's Mother, and Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball. Or maybe even "The Garbage Song (Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out). But he wrote a whole lot of delightful short peoms....like this one.

SNOWBALL

I made myself a snowball

As perfect as could be.

I thought I’d keep it as a pet

And let it sleep with me.

I made it some pajamas

And a pillow for its head.

Then last night it ran away,

But first—it wet the bed.

• 2 months ago

Start with a couple of fee websites: Poetry 180 and American Life in Poetry.

• bubula
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Anything by Billy Collins, former American poet laureate. One of the most accessible ever, one of the best.

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

~Read a book ABOUT poetry. There is one very, very, good one. You will find it on Amazon:

The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within Paperback – 6 Sep 2007

by Stephen Fry

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I dont know .......

• 2 months ago

Kay Ryan. Her poems seem simple, but you will start to see layers of meaning as you learn more about poetry. William Carlos Williams, likewise.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

e. e. cummings is always good for a chuckle. Example:

"the way to hump a cow is not

to get yourself a stool

but drop a penny in the slot

and bellow like a bool."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.