Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 9 months ago

Can a 13 year old legally stay home alone for 7-8 hours?

I am 13 years old, and I want to do homeschool but both of my parents work. My mom is worried that social services might take me away if I stay home alone for 7-8 hours, and she is willing to give up her job for me. I don't want her to do that, but I also want to homeschool for a variety of reasons. I know how to make myself food, and I am mature enough to be home alone. I also have a dog, and I live in a safe neighborhood where there has never been any crimes in so far. I'm in California, so there isn't any law towards a 13 year old being able to stay home alone. But, how long can I stay home alone? Please only give serious answers.

Most states have vague requirements for a child that stays home alone. The general consensus is that the child must be provided for and not in danger to self/others. With this criteria, a child as young as 8 could be home alone provided they could cook for their self.

Your mom is right to be concerned about social services. Social Services and Child Protective Services are often run by moral busy bodies who have no idea how to actually run a home.

If your mom does let you stay home (like I did at your age), just don't talk about it to others.

not legally, it is too young.

• Layne

I would think not. Isn't that truancy? I strongly believe that is wrong.

Here's a copy of the law for you11 to 12 Years - May be left alone for up to 3 hours but not late at night or in circumstances requiring inappropriate responsibility. 13 to 15 Years - May be left unsupervised, but not overnight. 16 to 17 Years - May be left unsupervised (in some cases, for up to two consecutive overnight periods).

You are old enough to babysit so you are old enough to be home alone. I think the real objection is your mother or father will have to do quite a bit of work for the home schooling to count as "being in school." They do not want to do the work.

• Faith9 months agoReport

Thanks for the response! Also, it is not required for your parent/coach to guide you throughout homeschool for the whole day. I have homeschooled many times before, but this time it's different because my mother has to work too. I am an independent learner, so I don't need much help to learn.

You need to check the laws in your state. I do have a question for you. Do you completely understand the concept of "home schooling? You will need an adult present to implement the curriculum and you will have people come in from the department of education to make sure that that the curriculum and other academic requirements are being followed.

• sha_lyn68

"and you will have people come in from the department of education to make sure that that the curriculum and other academic requirements are being followed."

it's clear that you do not understand the concept of homeschooling

Sure..................

i wouldnt think so, my mother did worse than that when i was growing up, if she had to go somewhere she left my 10 yr old brother in charge, he would watch me and my twin sister who were 7 and my 4 yr old brother, noone ever turned her in to social services

Yes why would that be illegal?

• Enigma

I don't think so. I think you have to be at least 14 but that depends on the laws in your State.

• Faith9 months agoReport

In California there is no age restrict towards staying home alone, do you think that I can stay home alone for several hours, though? Either way, I am almost 14 years old.