taylor asked in PetsHorses · 11 months ago

How much should I be getting paid at horse stable?

In one day I clean 19 stalls (all these horses are kept in 24 hours a day), feed 40 horses grain, turnout approximately 8 horses, and then hay and water the horses staying in.

Well, I CANNOT believe that you clean 19 stalls a day. You wouldn't have time to do 6 properly with all the other jobs you say you do. 

Where on Earth are you? Some countries won't pay beans and some are fair if not generous. If you like the work, pay doesn't matter too much. Do a great job and make yourself invaluable.

You do grunt work. It's laborious but doesn't require any certification or degree. I'd say you deserve a bit over minimum wage because it is laborious work. Maybe a dollar or 2 over minimum with room for raises.

• John

Nothing obviously. Who said they pay anything? Don't you have horses there?

No one in this day and age will do that amount of work for free. You dont say if the stalls are bedded with sawdust/shavings or straw. Do you get to use a gator or small tractor or cart it out one wheelbarrow at a time? Does anyone pick the stalls in the afternoon? I am guessing this takes you about 6 hours a day? At a minimum $10 per hour.

Wages are generally by the hour, not by the job. Federal minimum farm wage is $7.25 an hour for adults. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FEDMINFRMWG

Federal minimums apply only to farms that ship their product out of state, so you'd have to look up your particular state's minimum farm wage.

Further, workers under 18 may be paid even less than that, so you'd need to look up your states minimums for children working on farms.

You sound like a hard worker! Hopefully they'll compensate you fairly.

Are you a teenager being paid under the table or an employee being paid by the hour?

What you get paid depends on what people pay for this sort of thing WHERE YOU LIVE. This site is worldwide. If you're a child being paid under the table probably not that much.

• *****

Starting wage would generally be minimum wage for that sort of unskilled labor.

tbh 13 bucks an hour\

No seriously. I would consider a new job. Look for something that pays you 60,000 a year to start ok ?