Isabel asked in PetsHorses · 9 months ago

What is the difference between a pinto and a paint horse?

I have tried googling this but am still confused haha I know the American paint horse is a breed, but I've heard people describe other horses as paint or pinto almost interchangeably.

Thank you :)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

A Paint is a specific breed, registered with the American Paint Horse Association (APHA). Some Paints are solid colored as well.

A pinto is any breed of horse with the pinto coat pattern. There is also a pinto color registry that I believe is open to all or most breeds.

In the gaited horse world, pintos are often referred to as "spotted" and there is a registry for Spotted Saddle Horses, which are any pinto/spotted gaited horses.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Paint have mostly a Quarter horse with excessive white, some degree of Thoroughbred in the blood lines is okay, Pintos would be any other bloodlines with excessive white like Arabian/Quarter cross, Saddlebreds with excessive white, Morgans and others.

• 9 months ago

A Pinto horse refers to a horse that has a coat consisting of large patches of white and any other color.The Pinto horse is not a breed while the Paint horse is.

• 9 months ago

Pinto is the pattern you find on most Paints and Paint is the breed. Lots of horses can be pinto without being a Paint (Mustangs, American Miniatures, and Saddlebreds can all be pinto, to name a few), and a Paint doesn t always have to have pinto; there are quite a few solid colored Paints.

Paint and pinto are usually mixed up because most people make the mistake of Paint = pinto (all paints are pinto) so therefore pinto = Paint (all pintos are Paints), which neither are true.

Pinto is the white pattern and Paint is the breed of the horse. Hope that helps :)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

The American Paint Horse is a specific breed. Most registered Paints are also cross registered with the American Quarter Horse Association or AQHA. The breed itself is based on the Quarter Horse, although there is such a thing as a Thoroughbred Paint as well. (Paint TB's don't race, and aren't accepted as purebreds by the Jockey Club.)

Pinto, on the other hand, is a non-specific term that refers to a horse with a spotted coat. Horses with this designation can be of any breed. There are Warmbloods that are pinto horses, and there are also numerous other breeds that have pinto coloration.

The difference between the terms "Paint" and "Pinto" is comparable to the difference between the American Albino, which is a recognized color breed, and a true albino, which is caused by a genetic mutation and results in a horse's having pink skin, white hair, and clear or pale eyes. True albinos are relatively rare- I have known only one horse with this mutation in my entire life. That particular horse was a mare that I rode while in college- she was a school horse there. She turned out to be an albino Quarter Horse.

Perhaps this clears up your confusion.

Lv 7
    9 months ago

Pinto is the color pattern. Paint is a specific breed of horse with pinto coloration, based on the quarter horse. Most Paint horses are pintos, but not all pintos are Paint horses.

• Eva
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

Pinto is a color. A Paint is a pinto quarter horse.

• Casey
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Paint is a breed of horse that is usally pinto in color. The large spots you assosiate with paints aren't what makes paints paints. iu

but the pinto coloring is not unique to paints, which is why you hear both,

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Paint is a breed.

Pinto is a color.

The terms are not synonymous. Many horses with pinto coloring are not paints by breed. Pinto-colored horses can be of many different breeds.

Calling a horse a pinto is like calling a horse a bay or a roan or a dapple grey. It describes a color pattern, not breed.

• 9 months ago

The difference between Spanish and English.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Nope! It's technical terminology. And in Spanish you would say, "un caballo pintado" for a pinto horse. Here is a Spanish-language description of "Pinto Horse" vs "Paint Horse". https://www.flickr.com/photos/23630893@N08/4464451291

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.