Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 3 months ago

If there is anyone here who was alive back in the 80s how historically accurate is Stranger Things?

If you can remember the 80s, how similar was it to the way they portray it on Stranger Things. Are there any glaring anachronisms?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

I'm a couple years younger than me kids on Stranger Things. I haven't really watch the show, but just from what I've seen in terms of clothing and Ambiance and stuff it's pretty accurate. I think that some of the outfits in the new season might be a little too early. Some of them look a little more late 80s common I think the show is currently set in 1985 or 86.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Off the top of my head--

Not enough homophobia. Steve is too nice. (Robin would've never come out in the 80s, to a straight boy). Too much parental involvement. I'd be gone 14 hours every day and my parents didn't know or care where I was. Clothing and hair styles not extreme enough. That was really common place, like more than half the kids in school. I don't know the word to describe this because the 80s didn't believe any of the current gender identity malarkey (I still don't), but-- we didn't think Boy George was gay. It was just accepted boys could wear dresses and girls could be very androgynous and wear power suits and macho men could have perms, crop tops and makeup (while also being very sexist womanizers). Clothing had nothing to do with sexuality.

• 3 months ago

Very similar..even the guys..

• 3 months ago

Yeah, I was alive waaaaaay back then — I was in high school.

I haven’t noticed any big anachronisms, but there are a few little ones. For example, the mall is way bigger and more complex than they were then. Average kids didn’t have money to go on a shopping montage. Walkie talkies wouldn’t have had anywhere near the range theirs had — if you were biking all over town, you’d mostly get static. Billy wouldn’t have had that mustache, definitely not.

The house decor is great, and the costumes are perfect — that dress El wore to the school dance at the end of the first season? I swear I had that dress. And the lack of communication is right — if somebody didn’t show up where they were supposed to be, you’d have no way of knowing what happened. All you could do was call their home phone, and it would just ring and ring if they weren’t there.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

It seems fairly accurate to me. I originally thought Billy calling 911 in season 2 (I think it was the second episode) was problematic because we didn't get 911 service in our area until the 1990s. But apparently Indiana was an early adopter and had it in the 1980s, so it looks like I was wrong.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.