Is it possible that my doctor is showing me fake reports ?

2 years ago at a different clinic my testosterone levels were 4.93 and now at this new clinic they are 2.29 with a normal range of 2.27 to 9.76. It may have declined this much but how come I managed to fall in normal zone by just 0.02 units ? It sounds fishy ? And at my old clinic the normal range shown was different. I strongly feel that this clinic wants me to continue the treatment for their financial benefit. Should I test my blood again in different clinic or town to be sure ?

Testosterone levels bounce all over the place and on average can vary by +/- 25% depending on the time of day. They are also affected by the amount and intensity of physical activity you have had in the previous week or two. The variation is so high that the results are virtually meaningless until you establish the pattern in the variation, which can take s 5-7 measurements over several months.

• Pippin

Nobody fakes lab reports. It's all automated. (And yes, different labs can show slightly different reference ranges. And even if you are slightly out of reference range, unless there are specific symptoms related to the tests, it's unlikely to be an issue.

There's no standardization of testing through out the US or the world for that matter. You can't compare results from one lab to another. Each lab can use a different manufacturer reagents because the test system is patented they can not be identical and so the numbers may be not mean the same. The numbers can not be interchanged or substituted.

One always evaluates a test with the stated reference range posted by the performing lab. You can not use another labs reference range. You are assuming that there was a drop because the numbers are lower in the recent report. You can't do that. That might be an invalid assumption on your part.

There are several different tests for testosterone. You need to have the same test and then go by the reference range of each test as stated on each report. One can make general correlations when doing so but numbers will not be identical.

You compare one test with its reference range to another test with its reference range in order to see the correlation in order to see if the level has changed or not.

I would think that would be illegal