Why do mechanics charge more per hour than most people earn in a day?

Most cheap mechanics charge around £50 per hour. Yet that is still more than most people earn in a day. Also that cost is minus tax and vat and minus the cost for parts. So why so much??

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's only true if you are not even earning minimum wage. That's why you should have paid attention in math class.

• 2 months ago

That is the shop labor rate that covers the overhead and payment for things you don't see on the bill. The mechanic may see about a third of the hourly rate.

• 2 months ago

Because is it a difficult job that requires training a skill.

• 2 months ago

Because they can, and because it's very hard work.

Feel free to fix your own car.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Satan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Usually because most car jobs can be done quickly, and completed in an hour or less.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A repair shop MAY charge that amount for an hours worth of labor, but the mechanic doesn't get the entire amount in his pay check. Part of it goes to cover the shop's overhead costs like rent, insurance, utilities, etc. PLUS... That money is only charged while the mechanic is actually working on a customer's vehicle. The mechanic doesn't earn anything for the time he is idle or waiting for the next customer to come in.

• 2 months ago

Expert help isn't cheap.

Cheap help isn't an expert.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They have got to pay for the parts up front.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why dont you become a mechanic and charge less?

• Jason2 months agoReport

Trust me I'm thinking about it. I only make £57 a day so will be worth it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.