How to save seeds for next year's tomatoes?

I am a first time gardener who produced a bounty of wonderful tomatoes that made me very popular amongst family and neighbors. But I grew my tomatoes from plants I got at the hardware store. Next year I want to grow my own from seed, but don't know how to preserve the seeds until next spring. I saw a video... show more I am a first time gardener who produced a bounty of wonderful tomatoes that made me very popular amongst family and neighbors. But I grew my tomatoes from plants I got at the hardware store. Next year I want to grow my own from seed, but don't know how to preserve the seeds until next spring.
I saw a video of a guy who sliced up a tomato and planted each slice into a little pots, which sounds like a great way of doing so before putting them in the ground, but will the seeds be viable if I freeze my tomatoes I have now? And if not, what are other methods?