Jennifer asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

how to prevent and treat algae growth in fish tank?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Changing filters - use an algae filter cartridge in filter.

The longer the light is on (or if it's in direct sunlight) can make algae bloom - reduce this light.

Get bottom feeders - catfish, shrimp, snail etc.

Live plants and moss balls.

There's algae solution drops.

There's magnetic sponges you can use to clean algae on the inside of glass.

• 2 months ago

Lower the nitrates(fertilizer)by water changes, use a scraper to clean glass, and a net to filter the algae floating around, you could use an algae reducer addative( don't like to go down that road too much)

• 2 months ago

Algae eating fish poo out fertilizer for more algae, and next time it could be algea that the fish dont eat. So only keep fish that you want as pets.

Many light bulbs that come with the set ups are going to be very good at growing algae. If you do not want to keep live plants, Consider changing the bulb to something other then floresent bulbs, somthing other then bright white, I use Aquaglow bulbs, they are still flouresent, but designed different. fish and decorations are more bright and natural colored, not washed out by white light, and algae growth is limited. Also, keep the on less 8 hours max if you have a lot of algae. Onestly I have very little algea since I started using these bulbs, and now i wish i had more for my new rainbow shark.

• 2 months ago

Just practice good husbandry, including proper filtration, stocking, feeding, and water changes.

Some municipal water sources are more prone to developing algae due to the impurities, however. Sometimes RO/DI may need to be used either with tap water or with adding salts back into it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Filters cleaning it every two weeks

• olivia
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Keep live plants: Live plants will use many of the nutrients that algae thrive upon. ...

Keep algae-eating fish: Keeping Siamese flying fox, otocinclus, or even the common plecostomus, will help reduce some of the algae in the tank.

• Jennifer2 months agoReport

Thank you for responding to question, appreciate it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.