Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 9 months ago

Can a mattress be used without a box spring on a steel frame?

I am going to purchase a steel bedframe. The description says that no box spring is needed.

It says the mattress can rest directly on the frame , with no box spring below it.

But it seems like this scenario would be uncomfortable for sleeping....

Your thoughts?

If the advertisement says that a box spring is not needed, then that is an indication that the bed frame is a slatted bed frame, which has slats across its width which support the mattress. I sleep on a platform slatted bed and have not needed a box spring since 2002. A box spring is just a wooden frame covered in cloth with a bit of padding. A slatted bed frame eliminates the need and added expense of a "box spring".

That's the way kids' beds are.... Because they are supposed to only be used for a few years. They have wood slats across the frame, or as part of the mattress that supports what a box spring normally would. You want a box spring unless you're 18 and invincible.... Heck I had a mattress on the floor for a couple years when I moved out.

Source(s): I slept on the same kids' bed from the time I was probably 5, until I moved out after I graduated high school..... My dad wasn't big on making sure life's needs were met.

Not sure if it would be ok or not. I would say try it without the box springs for a month and see if you are getting a good nights sleep. If not, then go purchase a box springs.

Good luck.

Check the description. I would expect there are flexible wooden slats to support the mattress, which is how the majority of regular beds are these days.

Surely you will want a wood flat on top of the frame or you will suffer sag syndrome.

Even the floor would be better suited.

All you need is a mattress. It can be on the floor.

• C

Does your steel frame have slats? A bedstead with slats doesn't need a box spring.

it probably depends on what mattress you buy

• Greg

A mattress is not a mattress and a person is not a person. It would work for some.

No, it will sink. How about just putting mattress on the floor?