Is fungal pneumonia dangerous?

My doctor diagnosed me with it and I have been getting treatment. I use to smoke but not a heavy smoker, occasional drinker, I’m 24 and I have had pneumonia in the past. But not as bad as this one. I’ve been coughing for so long and now and then I will cough up some blood but then it will go away. I’ve already taken all of my medication and have been given more. I’m actually getting worried. I had a lung biopsy done and everything is normal except for inflammation I don’t get it. Should I be reallly concerned?

• Edna

Any pneumonia can be dangerous, and fungal pnemonia is difficult to treat.

Fungal pneumonia is a lung infection caused by fungi. Pneumonia is a common infectious disease and the leading cause of death from an infection in the developing world.

Most pneumonias are caused by viruses or bacteria. Fungal pneumonias on the other hand are rare. It is usually a problem for people with weakened immune systems (immune compromised).

When fungal pneumonia affects a person with a normal functioning immune system (immune competent) it is usually self-limiting and may not even need to be treated in some instances.

• Jason

Fungal pneumonia can be particularly difficult to treat. They form spores that are difficult to kill and they are not responsive to antibiotics -- and antifungals can be hard on your liver. Unlike most bacterial or viral types of pneumonia, fungal pneumonia can destroy lung tissue. It can cause cavitary lesions similar to tuberculosis. The good news is that, like TB, your immune system can wall off the fungi in a granuloma (a ball of scar tissue). The bad news is that once it's there, it's pretty much there for life. That hard ball of scar tissue traps the spores and keeps them from causing any further damage, but the nodules stay there.

The most important thing that determines your course is what the particular fungus is in the first place and whether or not your immune system is compromised. Some fungi don't really cause much damage; others are a real bastard. All of them can take a long time to treat. Mold just plain doesn't die as easily as bacteria.

Fungal pneumonia is the major concern with cold aerosol humidifiers and hookahs. The case of cold-mist humidifiers, they produce droplets that can carry mold spores and bacteria. You inhale those and boom -- pneumonia. With hookahs, it's similar: The water bath is NOT a filter, it's a warm wet environment that is perfect for mold to grow. The bubbling during inhalation creates aerosol particles. Those too can carry spores that can be inhaled. If you have a cold mist humidifier (one that spits and hisses and makes a mist cloud), get rid of it. If you have recently smoked from a hookah, your doc should know that to better inform your treatment.

Best wishes.

.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my master's in nursing.

This is something you need to find out from your doc. Your case is already unusual because most people don't need treatment, while in your case the initial treatment didn't work. It woudl be a good idea to make sure the docs identified the type of fungal infection you have. There are different medications for different types of fungus so maybe they didn't start with the best choice.

• Gert

Any pneumonia is dangerous. Get back to the doctor.

Something to ask your doctor.

You should also quit smoking. Your smokers' hack is becoming emphysema.

• Pippin

Any pneumonia CAN be dangerous.

A person who has had pneumonia multiple times by 24 (particularly fungal) would need to be evaluated for underlying health problems.