Is this a reason to call off of work?

So I've been diagnosed with chiari malformation. I basically have all the symptoms.. I have awful vertigo, I cant walk that good, I cant lift anything with my left arm, I have constant headaches, I have about 3-5 panic attacks each day completely random. My mom thinks I shouldn't go to work OR even be left alone until I have surgery for this which will most likely be in about a month. It gets worse each day. As I'm typing this I'm having chest pains..... I don't know if my boss will let me take off. I'm 18 if that matters.

From what you described, your symptoms are bad and only going to get worse before the surgery. If you don't mind working with al the symptoms you have and if the symptoms don't create a hazardous situation at work, you could chose to keep working for a while. Maybe you could endure a few more days, but it looks like you will need to take time off whether you want to or not. Its your choice. You have a legitimate reason to stay home which most people woudl probably do in your situation unless they desperately needed the money.

• Eric9 months agoReport

I called yesterday and told them that I cant come back till after the surgery. I cant wait for all this to be over and just be able to go back to work

Silly Billy, If you are "Diagnosed" with an illness, of course you have the "symptoms".. we would not expect less.

You now have THREE Choices.

1. Find employment (government?) that accommodates it.

2. Apply for Disability.

3. ....the "other".

Your Physician should advise you. If you are unfit for work, of course you should not go in. No employer wants an employee that is going to have a situation on the payroll.

• Donald

If you are not up to going to work, don't.

Best wishes

• Mirage

Of course, your boss will definitely say it's okay, people take sick days for you know, just being sick. I called in to take a day off cause I only got 1-2 hours of sleep and you can't function properly and do a 12 hour shift with 1-2 hours of sleep. My boss the next day just said welcome back. Only one time I worked a 12 hour shift on 4 hours of sleep and it was dreadful. I'm 20.