U-Haul Car Tow Dolly / Car Hauler Rental Texas Trailer Lighting Law question?

So I recently got in a car accident involving an SUV attached to a tow dolly that had no lights what so ever. It was around 8:00 pm over at SAN MARCOS, TEXAS so sun was coming down already. What are the Texas light law requirements for a tow dolly ? I did hit the trailer because it was not visible. I swear that the trailer almost camouflaged with the street, all black.

I had to pay $1,000 out of my pocket for this , and I think its not fair. Is there a chance I can get them back or is this case set and done?

• Edna

In Texas, the law is that any tow dolly or any other type of trailer being towed must be equipped with working tail lights (not "brake" lights), and those lights must be turned on & visible after dark. They don't have to burn in the daylight hours. If you ran into a tow dolly in the daytime, then you were following too close & you're at fault.

No chance. 100% your fault for distracted driving and not paying attention.

• JetDoc

U-Haul tow dollys AND trailers DO have lights. If "the sun was coming down" then it wasn't dark, and the vehicle pulling the trailer did not need to have his lights turned on. It's YOUR responsibility to pay attention while driving and NOT run into other vehicles.

There is NO CHANCE that you will get any money back from this accident.

Did you rear end him ?

Were you following him to closely ? ?

• Juan9 months agoReport

Yes, I was and yes I did the accident occurred on a Saturday the week before school started so there was a lot of traffic. So I was barely pulling out of my parking spot and had turned left to a driveway following the exit. At that exact moment, it happen.

100 percent YOUR FAULT. In Texas the running lights do not have to be turned on until 30 minutes after sunset so for any date before September 20th, 2019 when sunset occurs at 7;30 pm in San Marcos means that the trailer / tow dolly was technically legal f you hit it at around 8 pm..

• P

Part of the problem is that you did hit it and unless you have a video or pictures I assume you don't have proof of no lighting.

Otherwise if you called the cops and they wrote them a ticket for not having lights after the accident you would have a chance, but since you did not call the cops (and\or there's no ticket) there's no way you are getting out of this.

• Juan9 months agoReport

Yes, I do have a picture of the SUV and the tow trailer. However, I did call the cops and they just told me to call the insurance to make a claim lol. The guy who was driving just left too. He didn't provide me with no information. We both just parked close to each other and then he just drove off.