Steps to become a Piano Composer as a Beginner with no music background?

I'm starting to learn the piano now so that I could one day compose my own music.I can hear the music in my head but don't know how to play it out.

• Me2

"I can hear the music in my head but don't know how to play it out."  In addition to piano lessons and at least basic theory (notation, scales, and chords), be conscientious about your ear training studies, which will allow you to recognize the notes and chords of the music in your head.  I'm actually surprised that the other responders didn't mention this.

• Tony B

If you want to compose music for the piano then the first step is to learn to play the piano by taking lessons from a qualified teacher. I'd say that you should concentrate on achieving that before thinking seriously about bing a composer.

It's really difficult to say what the other steps should be without knowing what kind of music you want to compose.

I've been a pianist for 32 years and a music producer for 20. You are learning an instrument so keep that up, but you also have to study music composition, theory, performance experience, as well as at least an understanding of how production in a studio works. It takes a lot of time, which is why I started at 7 years old.

• Mamianka

Those of us with legitimate skills and careers usually reckon then from adulthood, earning degrees, and authentic full time professional work. I guess bodybuilders like to inflate EVERYTHING.

There are many different paths to becoming a composer. Some do a lot of formal study. Some try to do it all on their own. Some people like to work with others, like in a band setting, and others prefer to work alone. You have to find your own muse and follow it to wherever it may lead.

Some people need to figure it all out and master other people's compositions before they start their own writing. Whereas some people, like Joni Mitchell for example, admitted that she didn't have the technique to play other people's music so she just went out and invented her own from scratch.

Like I said, there are many different paths, you have to figure out what works for you (and that usually involves a lot of experimentation).