get in legal trouble for hateful email reply?

friend of mine basically got an email from his bank offering him a credit card and he replied f*ck off go kill yourself to the rep who contacted him. he got his account closed. he is worried he can get in legal trouble. is he in trouble ?

Your 'friend' did not threaten the bank rep. Your friend told the the bank rep to do certain things to himself, but your friend did not indicate that he was the one who would be doing it to him. At most, the rep could cite him for his vulgar verbal attack, but I'm quite sure the rep. won't waste his time trying to go after a loser who has no other response to offer except a diatribe of tasteless and crude words.

Sounds like "your friend" is a bigger idiot than the bank rep.

Not really. I get told to kill myself like 10 times a day and none of them have gotten in trouble. I haven’t reported it though.

If you tell someone to kill themselves and then they actually kill themselves then I think you can be in trouble.

How does the bank know he sent the email????

Sure it maybe his email account name?

A second person could have sent it, I know myself I have received emails not intended for me, I could enter the receivers email address into the required field in my email program and respond, no one would know it was not the intended receiver replying.

Equally a second person could have used his computer.

It will go no where.

Mind you your fried should consider the out comes before doing things.

Why would he waste his energy? It takes very little effort to write 'Thanks but no thanks'.

He won't get into legal trouble.

Making threats online is just as illegal as it is as doing it in real life.

I think it was YOU who did that .

he is an idiot.......