Can my employer ask me to take off my Star of David necklace?

I’m Jewish and very proud to be. I wear my Star of David everywhere it was given to me as a gift to signify how I should keep my religion close to me. My family finds it a huge dishonor to them and my religion to take off the necklace. I work as a host a a fine dinning restaurant and my assistant manager told me I needed to take it off and said it would be the same if it were a cross. I slipped it under my shirt and the next day I asked my general manager if I could Wear it. My GM told me I was allowed bc he believes it’s illegal for them to tell me to take it off. I came in the next day with it on and my assistant manger once again told me to take it off. I told him the gm told me I could wear it and he said the handbook says I can’t. (I looked through the handbook and no where in it does it say I csnt express my religion nor does it say we csnt wear jewelry) I explained to him that I cannot take it off due to respect of my religion and the best I could do would be to put it under my shirt. He told me that I need to take it off completely or I would be written up. I saw many other co workers with cross jewelry on and none of them have ever been asked to take it off. We are allowed to wear jewelry including necklaces. I feel that even being asked to tuck it under my shirt is disrespectful and makes me feel as if I should be ashamed of my religion. I’m not sure what to do. Is it illegal for my job to tell me to take off my religious jewelry?

• Athena

You work for Ilhan Omar ?

The Star of David is the seal of Ishtar/Inanna. The upward triangle symbolizes the male and downward the female, and the star symbolizes the Babylonian ideal of androgyny; it's all satanic.

This again? Your GM has already resolved this issue. Tell the assistant manager what the GM said and it's done. You are being a drama queen.

Asked and answered, so long as they don't have a no jewelry policy (which they can create at any time), no.

Probably does not have anything to do with. Star of David, and more to do with it dangling making it a safety issue. Police officers can not wear necklaces that could be grabbed and used to choke or hold on to the officer, regardless of what it signifies to the owner.

• Samantha9 months agoReport

I’m not an officer. I’m a hostess that sits ppl down a a table and tells them to have a good day.

• Tavy

Instead of making a fuss, why don't you wear it under your top. By flaunting it you are are saying Look at me.

• Lily9 months agoReport

I suppose you apply the same sentimate to Catholics who “flaunt” the crosses on their necks? Building on that, there’s nothing wrong with wanting everyone to know what religion you are. If you’re proud, you want everyone to know.

• mokrie

By putting it inside your shirt the boss cannot say anything else. He has no right to tell you to remove it altogether. He apparently is bigoted against Judaism. Report him to upper management. He should be removed from that position.

Depends.

On whether or not your neckless is a safety hazard.

If your job has a Human Resources department I would suggest reporting this to them. If not you need to lodge a complaint with his superior. He is wrong and someone in authority needs to set him straight.

In the UK, if they can't tell you to take off a Hijab, they shouldn't be able to tell you to take off your necklace, especially since others are allowed to wear theirs. But I'm not au fait with the law.