Can my employer ask me to take off my Star of David necklace?

I’m Jewish and very proud to be. I wear my Star of David everywhere it was given to me as a gift to signify how I should keep my religion close to me. My family finds it a huge dishonor to them and my religion to take off the necklace. I work as a host a a fine dinning restaurant and my assistant manager told me I... show more I’m Jewish and very proud to be. I wear my Star of David everywhere it was given to me as a gift to signify how I should keep my religion close to me. My family finds it a huge dishonor to them and my religion to take off the necklace. I work as a host a a fine dinning restaurant and my assistant manager told me I needed to take it off and said it would be the same if it were a cross. I slipped it under my shirt and the next day I asked my general manager if I could Wear it. My GM told me I was allowed bc he believes it’s illegal for them to tell me to take it off. I came in the next day with it on and my assistant manger once again told me to take it off. I told him the gm told me I could wear it and he said the handbook says I can’t. (I looked through the handbook and no where in it does it say I csnt express my religion nor does it say we csnt wear jewelry) I explained to him that I cannot take it off due to respect of my religion and the best I could do would be to put it under my shirt. He told me that I need to take it off completely or I would be written up. I saw many other co workers with cross jewelry on and none of them have ever been asked to take it off. We are allowed to wear jewelry including necklaces. I feel that even being asked to tuck it under my shirt is disrespectful and makes me feel as if I should be ashamed of my religion. I’m not sure what to do. Is it illegal for my job to tell me to take off my religious jewelry?