WiseMan asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 9 months ago

Is 43" a good size TV for a studio apartment?

I've live in a studio apartment and currently have a 32" TV. When I have friends and family members over, I get a good number of criticisms about how my TV size is so tiny for my apartment. Viewing distance is roughly 8 feet. I was thinking of upgrading to a 43" TV. Is that size big enough for a studio apartment with an 8 feet viewing distance? I'm hoping this will stop people's criticism.

If they criticize, they need to cough up some $$...

• lare

imho either is a perfectly acceptable TV size for your needs. if you have not thought it was 'small' before your friends complained, then just ignore them and keep what you have. BTW the next friend that says get a bigger set has just volunteered to host the next watch party. put up or shut up is what i believe.

• billionaire8 months agoReport

Noo click right here https://amzn.to/2mdP3jl

• falcon

Don't be influenced by people don't change or buy/replace things just because they said so . If you think and can afford a bigger TV than change it keep in mind monthly electric bill will be higher. 43'' is a good size me say.

If you have neighbors or thin walls, you are going to regret your decision. Noise complaints are not worth it.

i think its a good size

People are sometimes critical when they should not be.

Tell them that if they think you should have a larger TV,

you think They should pay for it.

That's how to shut them up at no real cost to yourself.

I recommend nothing larger than 45 inches, period,

no matter the viewing distance or any other consideration.

• A.J.

A general guideline in a standard 1920x1080 16:9 is to sit between 1.5 to 2.5 times the diagonal screen measurement away, with about a 30-degree viewing angle. TV manufacturers want to sell you a bigger set and use the 1.5, and science says 2.0 and to be less immersive and more relaxed viewing, 2.5. In older sets resolution was lower and we sat further back. In newer 4K, which really have dropped in price, you can cut the distance in half, but that becomes personal preference.

If you have 8 feet from eyes to TV which is approximately what I have now, my 46" 1920x1080 is small, and in 4K I need a 65 inch or more.

Going with the numbers recommended, the 8 feet is 96 inches and half of that is 48 as ideal with 40 to 60 in acceptable range in 1920x1080. If you want to be impressive and up to date, a 65 inch 4K tv is the smallest 4K recommended and 75 inch is really nice but costs $900 to $1300 still at low end.

Normally consider that a TV lasts for several years and consider how often it is used for how long and how much you can afford. You also should consider audio systems to go with it. The speakers are rarely over 10 watts.

I recognize prices and affordability around the world and for anyone anywhere is a variable to work with.

Bottom line, 43 inch in 8 feet is towards minimum and should feel disappointing still compared with latest TVs purchased. Do not go 4K 43 inch if any of them are around. Higher resolution is best on a bigger screen.

Before buying a set, be sure to price and view a 4K 65 inch which is what you should want.

THEN downgrade for affordability.

It depends on how far away from the viewing area it will be. I have a 60" TV and the other day, I was sitting there watching it while watching a ball game on my tablet. I held up the Kindle Fire tablet in front of me at arm's length and it was the same apparent size as the TV.