abcdef
Lv 7
abcdef asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

Can I use margarine instead of butter?

Stick butter is almost impossible to find around here but I did find stick margarine - already soften. Can I use it as a substitute for butter?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Betty
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You can but you will kill the taste.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • A good rule of thumb for the margarine butter debate just depends on how it's being used:

You can use margarine if it's "in" but always use butter if it's "on"

• denise
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

In baking, frying, e.t.c. I use 'Flora' margarine, in some sandwiches too [that have mayo e.t.c.]

I use butter for toast & sandwiches without dressing. But you could margarine for all of these if you like.

• 9 months ago

Yes. Don't expect whatever it is you're making to have the same consistency or flavor it would have with butter.

Are there no supermarkets near you? They all carry stick butter. If not Land O' Lakes, the #1 national brand, all of the supermarkets around here - all of them - sell stick butter under their name.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Well you “can” use margarine as a substitute for just about anything but the results will be different. It would be helpful if you'd told us what you were going to use it for.

Out of curiosity, where are you that you can't get butter but can get margarine?

• abcdef
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

suburban Toronto, Ontario!

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Not if I’m going to eat it.

Margarine is hydrogenated vegetable oil with food coloring added. Basically shortening.

Hydrogenated oils are so unhealthy that one of the local health food chains in my area won’t sell ANYTHING that contains them, at all.

• mrh-slos
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Only hard margarines are made from hydrogenated fat. Soft margarines are not. They are certainly no worse than butter which is largely saturated fat.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Where in the world you are, where butter is hard to find?

* YOU * can use margarine instead of butter -- and * IF * you have no taste.

I cannot use margarine. I love my food and I will not eat foods made with margarine.

I do use margarine, for frying potato pancakes.

I live in Los Angeles. Ralph's Groceries does not sell margarine. Albertsons does not sell margarine. Vons does not sell margarine. Margarine is 80% vegetable oil. The crap in those stores do carry are "Spreads" that are 30% to 55% water.

• abcdef
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

I can get butter - salted and unsalted, just not in sticks it seems. Sometimes, but not recently for some reason.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Usually, yes. The flavor/texture will be different.

You didn't bother to tell us what you're making so...

• 9 months ago

i dont see why not

• 9 months ago

You can but the flavor will be different.

The way it melts in your mouth will be different. Margarine melts at a higher temperature than butter does so you will not get the full flavor in your mouth.

But the melting point is one of the reasons cookies made with margarine remain "puffier" and cookies made with butter get flatter. Chewy/crispy is more related to the type of sugar brown vs white but margarine does effect the crispness.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.