Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why is education so expensive in the US?

Even if you want to get short training for a job it can cost, tens of thousands. This forces young people to settle for less skilled jobs as they cannot afford their training :(

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best answer

Colleges are so expensive in the United States because of federal student loans. Because the government offers school loans to go to school, the colleges keep raising the price of tuition because they know that the government will continue to loan out the amount regardless. Universities find many more activities to participate in than just education. University athletics, almost always a significant cost burden, is just one example of “mission creep”.Tuition is equivalent to or greater than out-of-state tuition for public universities. Some state universities displace qualified resident students for non-residents who will pay higher tuition - a source of criticism for administrators.

Sadly, many Americans are starting to feel like colleges and universities are just financial traps. Unless you are the few chosen ones who qualify for a full grant, you end up paying dearly for your education and become trapped by it. Most students will not pay off their loans until it’s time for their own children to go to college.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you think education is expensive, compare it to the cost of ignorance. You get what you pay for.

My personal experience was going to a tuition-free state school in an Ivy League university and mostly working my way through. In my junior year, I was offered a state scholarship for my senior year to switch to the school of Arts and Sciences. The catch was that I would have had to pay three years of back tuition. Needless to say, I politely told the state where to shove their offer. In retrospect, I think I got a better education in the state school. When I went on for my master's, I set the record for credits in my field. My classmate, also from the same school, came in a close second.

• Frank
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Simple. The UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT decided that the student loan system wasn't fair and TOOK OVER THE ENTIRE THING. The schools saw DOLLAR SIGNS!!! and SKYROCKETED THE TUITIONS!!

• Spin
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

because USA is only about MONEY.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Lack of federal funding of higher education.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because a lot goes into the education system, which cost money

• 2 months ago

Those who really want it, and are willing to work for it, find a way to get the credentials the4y really want. 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk to help pay for school and/or living expenses. Many work full-tine to get where they want to go. Those who give up easily don't have what it takes to be successful in anything anyway.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

John got it right. Fireball doesn't know what he's talking about.

• John
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Like medical care, the cost of higher education is probably not very different in the US than it is in other developed countries.

What is different is the way in which such social programs are paid for. The US has, by far, the lowest personal tax rates in the developed world. In Europe, where much of higher education costs are paid for by the government, personal tax rates are much higher.

People can debate which method is better. Regardless, it doesn't mean that higher education costs less if paid by all taxpayers, rather than primarily by the students.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I've worked at a small liberal arts college for over 30 years. During that time the faculty to student ratio has remained unchanged, but the number of administrators has gone up by 60 percent. We have at least 10 officers for diversity and inclusion, at least a dozen advisors for different groups such as black students, Jewish students, etc. We have at least 8 Title IX officers. We went from a half time swim coach to 2 full time coaches and a part time assistant. Other athletic teams have seen similar increases in staffing.

New facilities are paid for primary by donations, but he cost of upkeep is not. Colleges are adopting all sorts of ridiculous police which stuck up employee time. Other policies are forced upon colleges. This all adds up to notable tuition increases.

• 2 months ago

cause everything is expensive in the us

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.