what does it mean when you can't find websites you used to be able to find?

does it mean the internet has become censored and restricted by the government or big tech companies?

there was a website i used to visit around the year 2011, it was a website run by ordinary people out of denmark and it had information, downloads, pictures, screen shots of the old commodore 64 text adventure game 'lord of the tings' from 1988.

i think the website was partly called 'lycasor' and something else....but when i look for the website now in google or duckduckgo, i can't find the website? its as though it never existed..

does this mean the internet in the uk has gotten restricted or regulated? that its no longer a free open internet in the uk?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Web sites run by individuals or small private groups often cease to have anyone prepared to pay the cost of maintaining them and so cease to exist. It doesn't mean that they are being censored in any way.

If you had kept a record of the site's URL, you could have checked with the registry to see if the domain was still registered, but without a known URL you may never be able to find the site even if it is still existing.

Search engines such as Google have thousands of new sites to index every day. If they cannot find a site when checking old entries they will drop it. Also, even if it still exists, it may appear on page 289 or some other large nunber of the listing - especially if you don't have exact terms to search on.

• 8 months ago

It can mean several things. In any case it means it's gone, or been taken offline, the site may exist, but is not on the web. The reason for it being gone is usually someone deleted it, or at the very least has been taken off the web.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If you still have the link to that website, you can search for it on the Internet Wayback (archive).

https://archive.org/web/web.php

You might also be able to search for keywords for the website, but I'm really not sure how Wayback works beyond entering an address.

• Lv 7
    8 months ago

hate to disillusion you, but websites have never been free. and if you donxt pay the annual fee, your site comes down.

if you know the name of the site, you can look up old versions of it on the wayback machine.

web.archive.org

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

It means you didn;t bookmark it.

Lv 7
    8 months ago

It means they are no longer available

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.