If you can speak another language (and are proficient in it), do you feel that other language is part of your identity?

Yes, it becomes part of who you are

To some extent, yes of course. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I have any special personal relationship with that culture.

Yes, it sort of defines who I am since there are only specific reasons of why I know those languages.

Yes.

Definitely.

• Zirp

To some extent yes. The languages you know determine what things you can talk about, and with whom.

Among fluent speakers of German, my identity is different from that of Dutch who don't know German

i feel that way, im bilingual and can speak spanish

No.

Because I learned 2 foreign languages before I got to my own native language.

So... people harping on languages being part of who you are? 🥴 You're a fvcking racist joke and an embarrassment of a human being.

I'm primarily speaking to Mexicans and Samoans who I've heard this from.

Which is why I acknowledge being an American, first and foremost.

I'm also now proficient in Samoan. 🖕🥴 And no, I didn't practice. It just came out of nowhere after my stepfathers passing.

He taught me.

Yes. When you naturally THINK in a language, that language is part of your identity.

I do use the English language daily, even professionally. I suppose I do feel that way, a little.