how long can an abandoned ship stay afloat before it inevitably sinks?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

One has been abandoned in a river near me for at least 25 years so far and still floats.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If made out of wood....you would die and the ship would still be floating. That is, if it is protected from stormy weather events.

Metal hulled vessels would depend on the thickness of the metal before they rot out.. Concrete hulled vessels could last just as long. Fiberglass(a type of plastic) also has a long life to it. What do you specifically want to know?

• 2 months ago

To many variable and unknows to determine.

• 2 months ago

A very long, long time.

Back around 1985 or so a Russian trawler off the coast of Alaska was taking on water. They were talking on the radio to Commsta Kodiak and Air Station Kodiak has launched a HH-3 helicopter to rescue the crew. Sometime in the night the water approached the batteries and the crew mistakenly 'thought' the batteries would explode once water got to them. They jumped ship. All died. Coast Guard boarded the vessel and fixed the leak, the ship was towed to outside Bell's Flat just south of the Kodiak Coast Guard station. When I first saw it in 1986 it was afloat. In 1995 while on Kodiak again - still floating. In 2008 I was back on Kodiak - it had finally sunk but the water was not deep, just 10 feet.

Many many years is possible.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.