Nini
Nini asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Why did all the birds leave my back yard?

I have the same seed out but I haven't seen a bird in like a month.

• oikoσ

Birds need supplemental feeding during winter and spring. This is the time of year when a lot of things are in fruit and the food might be better elsewhere.

Probably because you have neighbors that let their damn cats out.

here's another one for your missing feeder birds..........

"a male merlin chased a small songbird a bit, a female merlin grabbed it and ate it atop the power line pole. Attempts to find so much as a wing on the ground were unsuccessful. A few minutes later, she saw and tore after another bird at the feeders, about a Park-width away. Insatiable appetite, apparently." 

this report from birding message boards..........just one clue as to why our wildbirds are doomed.

• John

They didn't and havemt . you need to have an honest electrician (one you don't have to pay extra and will probably do it out of the goodness of his heart) come check out your ground lines for noise.

Electrical and other noise from your ground lines have caused them to move.

Electricians should already be paid to repair noise from new construction like networking and other new construction.

• denise

Maybe there could be a hawk or something similar in the area?

Because one day you showed a gun at them

Well it's getting close to Fall so birds will start migrating further South.

Do you have cats you let roam? Neighbours' cats coming into your yard? Do you have feeders well off the ground to protect the birds from predators?

• Nini

I have cats but I don't let them outside. I have seen a few strays around though.

• TedEx

I used to have a yard full of birds, but since a herd of feral cats moved in, I hardly see any

Your cat is scaring the birds.

• Nini

How did you know I had a cat? (I have 9 of them) They don't go outside though.

• Mog

Maybe you have a hawk hanging around your neighborhood

• dornweg

bird feeders attract the predators who eat them.. hawks are incredibly swift and accurate targeting feeder birds, they also hunt feeder birds by rushing into them causing mass panic resulting in window crashes where the stunned birds are easily eaten... your birds may not be returning.