If I have my own private submarine, can I visit the wreckage of the Titanic or a destroyed U Boat?

Let's say I lived off the coast somewhere and I actually owned a mini, private submarine. Can I legally go to the depths of the ocean and visit historic wrecks like the Titanic, a destroyed U boat, the Kursk submarine, the Bismarck, a sunken pirate ship, etc.

If I found a cool item like a old trumpet, a pocket watch, pair of shoes at the sunken ship can I recover the item and add it to my personal collection?

No. I believe the Titannic is designated as a cemetery memorial for all those that died and is to be left alone. Besides it is at a depth deeper than most subs can go. you could not actually get out and scuba around so retrieval of anything would be excessively hard to do. You would never be able to show any of the stuff you took off the ship if you could. Prison.

Finding anything in deep water requires lights ...it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Jacques Cousteau went down to the Titannic and it is on Utube "The undersea world of Jacques Cousteau" and his submarines were the latest and most modern around. He had many dives in every ocean and you can see they barely can see anything. The Kursk is either blown up or just to deep. The ocean is huge...and in a few years a wreck becomes unrecognizable.

They are still searching for that jet airliner somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

Yes. As long as you don't get caught, yes.

• R K

your own sub could not go that deep.

Many wrecks are designated as scheduled monuments or as graves and you may not disturb them or remove anything without specific permission. That's assuming you can find a submarine and operators who can handle the conditions.

i dont see why not