jack asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Is it okay to use dried herbs in place of fresh herbs and use chicken or beef broth in place of stock when a recipe calls for it ?

Since I’m an amateur cook I don’t know if it’s important to follow recipes precisely to the teeth and there are limitations on me getting some of this stuff

Like for example I want to do a risotto recipe and it calls for fresh parsley, shallots and chicken stock but I’ve never seen shallots in my local Walmart or Kroger’s, fresh parsley is pretty expensive and goes bad very quickly and I already have chicken and beef broth in my cabinets and don’t want to pay $4 for chicken stock . Also I don’t have parsley in my garden since my garden is very limited on herbs

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

there is little difference between stock and broth so yes you can switch them for each other.

Fresh herbs are generally added at the end of cooking while dry ones are added at the beginning.

following a recipe precisely allows you to taste it the way its meant to taste. Switching things up creates a recipe that will taste far different then its meant to.

There are generally reasons why you do things in a particular recipe.

• 2 months ago

Yes to both. I rarely buy fresh herbs, the dried commercially-packaged herbs do just fine. I only make chicken or turkey stock from leftover carcasses if I'm going to make soup. The rest of the time I need some stock, I used bouillon cubes in the last. You can buy ready-mage liquid broth, but I prefer buying the jars of 'base' and making my own broth. It is paste-like and a jar goes a long way. You can buy beef, chicken, turkey, ham, pork, clam (makes great clam chowder). At a store near me, I can get a one pound jar of chicken or turkey base for less than $4 - the others sell for more - and one teaspoon makes one cup of broth. One jar goes a long way and it doesn't require refrigeration once it's opened.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can use regular onions instead of shallot. Use chicken broth. I wouldn't bother using dried parley in risotto, because it doesn't taste very good. Use a DIFFERENT fresh herb you do have in your garden. Sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano? Anything fresh to sprinkle on top tastes better than stale dried flakes in a bottle.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Shallots are essentially green onions. Not really but green onions are as close as most of us will find in our normal grocery.

Broth and stock are essentially the same too. At least in my mind they are. They're both the result of cooking meat in water. Sometimes broth/stock has had other seasonings to it but other times not. Using the bouillion that you mix with water is the worst; homemade is best. The kind in your cupboard is perfectly fine.

Dried herbs are fine. Fresh are undeniably better but they're expensive to buy and even if you grow a couple of herbs very very few people are growing all the herbs. Dried herbs are a lot more concentrated than fresh so you use much less. 1 tsp of dried = 3 tsp of fresh

Good luck, risotto's tricky - stir, stir, stir and remember, Practice Makes Perfect!

• ckngbbbls
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

shallots are NOT green onions Shallots are small round white mild bulbs with a purplish hue. Green onions are also called scallions

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Shallots are milder than onions, and even milder than green onions/scallions. And they have a slight garlic flavor. You will get MUCH better results if you use shallots. And yes, most food stores DO carry them.

Fresh parsley can make a huge difference .. especially in something like risotto. The problem with dried parsley is that unless there is long slow cooking (and risotto isn't long enough), it remains papery and doesn't soften up nicely.

Yes, parsley goes bad pretty quickly.

I take SOME of the left-over parsley and wrap it up in a damp paper towel, seal in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it. It will keep for up to 2 weeks that way.

For the stuff I'm not going to use within 2 weeks, I remove the stems and chop up the leaves ... sealing a Tablespoon with a bit of olive oil in a "snack baggie" and freezing it. It is great for adding to soups and stews, or any dish where you would use liquid in the cooking process.

As for chicken stock ... few of us simmer up chicken bones to make stock from scratch. It is a 2-day process. I have done it and it is MARVELOUS ... but rarely worth it.

You can buy cans or cartons of stock ... but I usually just use liquid concentrated chicken bouillon and add water ... and skip the salt, since it is salty-enough.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It really tells about your skill.

You can, why not? Just don't expect much in flavor when the dish is done.

• 2 months ago

Yes.

If a recipe calls for 3 Tablespoons of fresh parsley use 1 Tablespoon. If a recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of fresh rosemary use 1 teaspoon. So it is 1/3 the amount if you use dried.

Using chicken broth or beef broth use low sodium so your dish does not end up real salty as some of that broth will evaporate during the cooking. Also adjust the seasonings for salt by tasting.

Don't worry about a few shallots, if I don't happen to have them I don't worry about it. But they can easily be found near the onions in most stores. They have a slight onion/garlic flavor so just add a little bit of garlic if you like. But it really is nothing that you should really stress about. Just have fun cooking.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.