Astronautics question -- When do scientists expect human space civilizations in our solar system?

Update:

[Thank you, everyone. The answers helped me find some books on the topic. You do not need to post anymore.]

Update 2:

[One of the books is "Hyperspace" by an American physicist who forecasts that the solar system might be colonized in the 22nd century.]

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Research team:

Sending a team of researchers somewhere in space is not science anymore, it's about political decisions and money.

We have the technology for space vehicles, life support systems, and building an outpost from regolith doesn't seem insurmountable.

Space stations are an example of those technologies.

Civilization:

Starting a civilization is another story.

I understand "civilization" as a group of hundreds of people or more, who should be self-sustaining, should bear and raise children, grow their own food, or at least trade local resources (with Earth) for food.

This is currently out of reach for our technology.

But do scientists have some expectations?

Projects:

You might have seen projects of planet terraforming, spinning torus habitats, Mars or Moon under-dome cities, Venus flying cities, etc.

Those are not actual projects.

They are case studies that make science students improve multi-domain team-working: planetology, biology, ecology (the science, not the green business), climatology geology, etc.

• ...Show all comments
    • epistemenes8 months agoReport

* 40 to 50 years for Mars colonization
      * 1999, p. 279) and _Parallel Worlds_ (Anchor Books, 2006, p. 311)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

On a Thursday after the solstice.

• 8 months ago

Technology is not the answer.  Jesus is the answer to everything.

• David
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Not for some time. Well we have the technology.What tech we don't have we could invent while we were assembling what we have. The problem is the Finance's Where would all that money come from. JESUS BLESS YOU

• travelinguy8 months agoReport

Thank you for trying to help with this.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Beyond something like ISS or future remote outpost on the moon, maybe Mars,, they don't.

There won't be any extra planet colonization outside science fiction.

• ...Show all comments

Maybe not, but that is not the question I asked. My question is about conjectures and forecasts by natural scientists.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

outside earth? They don't

I just found some book listings by scientists who seem to do so. Please see my comment to the answer by daniel g.

• 8 months ago

It's not really a question for scientists. Any science to be gained from inspecting other planets is most effectively done robotically. This has now been well established.

Sending people up into space is not about science. It is a political, military, and cultural practise. The enormous cost is justified by the political leverage it brings to the sponsoring nation, it's potential military applications, and how the media can use it to best effect, not by the puny amount of science it can gather.

Hence scientists who speak within the spirit of their profession would be hoping human presence in space is postponed for as long as possible, so as to maximize science return through robotic missions. Fake scientists who write those frothy internet articles no doubt expect it "may happen" any day now.

• 8 months ago

They're scientists and therefore suspend judgement on things which they can't predict.

Well, scientists can and do make hypotheses and predictions based on empirical facts and theoretical models. So I don't know about that answer. Thanks for trying to help me on this, though.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Never going to happen. No other planet or moon in our Solar System will support human life without support from Earth. All Food, Water, Oxygen, Fuel, Protection will have to come from Earth.

We can make short Visits to Mars and Moons but not set up a colony.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.