Paleontology question -- How could dinosaurs reach such massive sizes under the pull of gravity?

[Maybe the question was confusing, but I found the answer now.]

[Thank you, everyone. You do not need to post anymore. I got the answer.]

[I found the answer at PBS Eons. 2017. "How Did Dinosaurs Get So Huge?" (October 2). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENK245mtPTo

Youtube thumbnail

]

That wall of text from anonymous above is completely wrong, but he blocked me. If he'd bothered to use Google, he would have found examples of fossils of dinosaurs with animal remains in their stomachs, like this one: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/07...

• travelinguy9 months agoReport

I am not sure why everyone is still responding. Updates 1 and 2 say I found the answer. I posted the answer below with the source:

PBS Eons. 2017. "How Did Dinosaurs Get So Huge?" (October 2). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENK245mtPTo

Not all were huge. Some were only a foot or two high. The really big ones spent much of their time submerged in water, letting the water support most of their weight.

• travelinguy9 months agoReport

Thank you for trying to help with this. I already found the answer. I was specifically interested in the massive land variety. I mention Gigantosauraus and Titanosaurus in reply to one of the answerers below. Anyway, this was a technical question about growth biology and gravity physics.

Ever get a load of the size of their bones? and then consider they were very lean in those days.

• travelinguy9 months agoReport

Donnie already mentions big bones, and Zirp implies likewise in the elephant comparison. But these three answers do not address the gravity physics and the enormous, crushing stress gravity would put on animals growing so extremely massive as Gigantosaurus or Titanosaurus, for example.

Friend, they reached massive sizes because reptiles never stop growing as long as they live... and in the conditions that the world was in at that time, they lived for hundreds and hundreds of years.

They were not meat eaters either. You'll never see the remains of a dinosaur with the remnants of another animal in its stomach.

We were programmed to believe a lie.

It was easy to believe, because we have prehistoric evidence of it staring us in the face: I mean, we have the dinosaurs, right?

This may change your mind (or not... depending on what you WANT to believe):

The word 'dinosaur' came from two Greek words that mean 'terrible lizard': a word made up in the 1800s to describe reptile fossils.

The word 'fossil' is from the French for 'dug up'.

Under the forces of extreme pressure, everything that was engulfed in mud during the world-wide flood turned into stone.

For about a year and a half minerals permiated plant and animal tissue. The mud also became stone as it compressed under the weight of billions of tons of water.

- Stone cannot be dated.

- Once around the sun is a year: you cannot hold up a rock and decide how many times it has been around the sun.

*When a fish dies, it rots or gets eaten.*

It does NOT turn into a fossil.

But there are fish fossils everywhere on the planet (even on the tops of mountains).

Every fossil in the world is the result of the world wide flood. Period.

*Before the flood everything lived ten times longer*

that's why

tusks

antlers

fangs

trees

bugs

and reptiles grew huge.

I used to work with reptiles: among many things I learned about them was that they NEVER stop growing as long as they live.

Pre-flood the air had 50% more oxygen in it.

Hyper-oxygenated air; the world was like a hyperbaric chamber, everything lived longer because of the air quality.

We know this because we have air samples from before the flood; extracted from bubbles trapped in fossilized sap (amber).

Adam lived until he was 930. Noah was 600 when he built the Ark (Google Noah's Ark Turkey - a tourist attraction since the 1970's A.D.).

Believing in lies about evolution makes you guilty of making God out to be a liar. This is slander against the Most High: spiritual treason.

You've heard of bacteria 'evolving'?

No such thing: simply, the hardier bacteria were never killed off by the antibiotic in the first place. The weaker bacteria were. All that's left is 'resistant' bacteria. They were never subject to antibiotics to begin with. They never 'evolved'.

Want to see evolution?

If God wants to raise children for Abraham from the stones He can do it.

He doesn't need any of us.

He can change what is in the blink of an eye.... He doesn't need millenia.

PS. The ancient serpents were losing their limbs as a result of the curse in the garden... they were doomed to crawl on their bellies. That's why snakes today have vestigial legs... a stark reminder that they were doomed to lose them.

• οικος

I don't blame you for posting this anonymously. I'd be ashamed to have this BS associated with me too.

They have really big strong bones to support their weight. It’s not like they have chicken legs.

• travelinguy9 months agoReport

I am looking for an answer referring to geological and biological mechanisms.

• Teva

Perhaps the atmosphere was different then?

• travelinguy9 months agoReport

I really appreciate this speculation. Atmospheric differences makes logical sense, so I did some searches. I found the idea is an old theory, but paleontologists do not use it anymore.