Am I wrong to be concerned about a friend's finances?

So my friend wants to go on a two week europe trip but she got mad at me because I do not fully support the trip due to her financial concerns.

Situationally, she barely graduated from college with thousands of dollars in student loans, helps support her family financially, just started paying a car lease, and is not in the career of her choice, working minimum wage. Her trip is going to be next year and is going to cost around $3,000.

Am I so wrong to not be supportive of her choices or should I just mind my own business?

• Kelly

Yes. Her finances and what she chooses to do with her money is none of your business.

If her trip is going to cost around $3000, she's not good at trip planning yet. I went to Europe for 3 weeks last summer and spent about $1500.

Support her. Mind your business.

you've pointed out her debts n how much she makes working....n that you are concerned bout her finances, she likes to live beyond her means...but now that she KNOWS how you feel, n what ur concerns are....it's up to her how she lives her life..n if she gets in a bind..n can't pay her bills and asks to borrow money you can plainly say SORRY i dont have it to bail you out..............u too are on a budget n are trying to save for a trip of your own, or to buy a house some day etc*.....................but ya, time to let it go with ur friends finances*..........she knows all too well what position she's in, n how she's living outside of her means.............but it is NOT of ur concern anymore* She needs to step up n be an adult n pay her bills...food...insurance...car...phone etc*.......n if she has $ left over to take a trip, great...if NOT..then DONT U DARE lend her any money* n just keep ur opinions to urself now...just make sure she UNDERSTANDS that YOU can NOT pay for her when she's in a bind*

• Alan H

She is financially feckless; your concern is right....but, face it, not your business unless she wants advice

So your friend is working a Minimum-wage job, is barley making ends meet and she wants to take a European vacation that she can't afford,,

It's STILL none of your business.

no you are not wrong at all go with your gut

• Fred

Some people are hopeless with money and will live their life in constant debt. My ex wife was like that. She had worked for 16years before she married me and had a car, a small television and a bed and a few things like plates and ladies knick knacks. She had spent every cent she ever earned and if she wanted something expensive put it on hire purchase. She had no concept of saving money for a day it is needed or just so she did not have money set aside for an emergency or so she did not have to pay interest.

There is no point in telling your friend off as they will not change and that is the way they will live their life.

Just mind your own business. She may feel she needs this trip before she hunkers down to the business of getting a decent job and paying off her debts. This may in her mind be a "once in a lifetime" thing, so I'd let her make her own decisions. However, you just got a 'get out of jail free card' in terms of ever having to listen to her complain about her finances again. From now on when she complains about money you can just say, "yeah, I know, hope that vacation was worth it".

• Lili

Nothing in the post says or implies that the friend has been complaining about her finances.

• GEEGEE

Not necessarily but you don't need to interfere either. Be supportive? Not sure exactly what that means in this case, expect to listen to the details of the trip and wish them a nice time.

You are, let her enjoy her money.

As long as she's not asking you for money or to pay for the trip it's not your concern.