TC
Lv 4
TC asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Is it rude to tell frail bus passengers not to touch my walking cane?

I am 70-years-old, and I use a walking cane to aid my walking.

I sit in the section of a public transit vehicle that is reserved for senior citizens and disabled passengers. I put my walking cane between my knees to hold the cane in place.

On occasion a frail passenger would grab a pole and place his/her hand on the top of my cane for physical support just before exiting the public transit vehicle (the frail passenger does not use a walking cane).

I've never said anything to the frail passengers who place their hand on the top of my walking cane for physical support, however, is it rude of me to tell these frail passengers not to touch my walking cane and to get their own walking cane?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    3 months ago
    Best answer

It's unreasonable to expect that people who believe themselves falling and at risk of serious injury will NOT grab at whatever is available to prevent that fall. If you don't want people touching you cane then disposition it in such a way that it's not directly at hand for fellow passengers.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

No, tell them to get their own cane if they need one, have a tighter grip on the cane, or get one that folds up when you sit down, it is your property and no one else should touch it.

• 3 months ago

Phrased the way you just did - yes is it rude.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

No it's not rude if it makes you uncomfortable... It's your cane. Let them get their

Own...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

If you're bent on keeping the cane and politely telling off strangers, keep holding the cane.

• 3 months ago

i dont think youre being rude to tell them that,

• 3 months ago

What, they put their hand on it for maybe five seconds to keep their balance? How does this do you any harm?

If you don't want people to do this simple thing, hold your cane where they can't reach it. But I honestly can't see what your problem is, and suspect you may be trolling.

• 3 months ago

It's your property. You decide the rules.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes. If you're really that concerned, hold the cane closer, with the top against your chest..

• 3 months ago

Seriously it doesn’t cost anything to be kind just be happy you’ve been helpful for another.

• Liz
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Well, there is a quality that Jesus had called empathy. Just consider how you would feel if the frail person was yourself and you were told not to touch another person's cane.

The apostle Peter counseled Christians to show ‘fellow feeling, brotherly affection and compassion,’ (1 Peter 3:8) to show “fellow feeling” literally “to suffer with another” or “to have compassion.” The apostle Paul recommended similar sentiments when he exhorted fellow Christians to “rejoice with people who rejoice; weep with people who weep.” Paul added: “Be minded the same way toward others as to yourselves.” (Romans 12:15, 16)

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Liz, surely you must be aware that people were showing 'empathy' to each other long before the time of Christ.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.