Is there a program that will estimate the price of gas on a trip?

I need to know the approximate price if I took a trip from Greenville South Carolina to Arlington Texas. I thought that Google tells you that when you do directions, but I did not find that to be true.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

I used to work for a transportation company and there was a program called PC Miler that calculated fuel costs, but it wasn’t for consumer use.

I don’t know of any programs like that for consumer use, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

No, but maybe MapQuest could be a possibility..

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Given that Google doesn't know what you're driving nor does it keep an updated running tally of the gas prices in every state on any given day it would impossible for it to tell you precisely what it would cost. So figure out what kind of milage your vehicle gets and do some research on the price of gas in the places you'll be passing through.

• 9 months ago

Plan on spending $4.00 per gallon. If you wind up spending less, that's just gravy.

• Jen
      Lv 4
      9 months agoReport

Smart idea.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Drop in your make/model of your car and you should get a pretty good estimate at gasbuddy. That site has up to date fuel prices throughout the nation.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator

• 9 months ago

As the price of gas varies pretty much daily, not to mention regionally, such an app would need to be very complex and would need updating more like hourly than daily in order to be even marginally useful.

Use gas price sites to find where along your route the prices are cheapest, and plan your refuellings accordingly. As has been mentioned, gas mileage on a car varies a lot, both by make, model, engine and year, and in how one drives.

• ...Show all comments
    • ANDRE L
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

But, how a driver drives their car can affect the fuel efficiency by a non trivial amount. Not to mention city/highway and traffic slowdowns...

• 9 months ago

Google has no way of knowing what mileage you get in your car. My car tells me, on the dashboard. If your car doesn't do that, you need to calculate it yourself. Also, on a recent short trip an hour away, we saw gas prices that ranged as much as a dollar a gallon from one place to another.

• 9 months ago

if you added up all the miles covered then divide by your average mpg`s you might get close ...but every car is different as per drivers abilities to get close to book mileage ...so every ones a guess

• 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure that MapQuest has a feature that will do that. At least it used to.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.