Bob
Bob asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 9 months ago

Did finding out Santa didn’t exist make Christmas less enjoyable?

Yes it did, it took away the magic and my childhood depression and anxiety began around then. When I tried to commit suicide at age 19 I said in the psych ward I lived at for a year and a half following it that the day I learned their was no Santa was the day I lost my innocence. I hate the holiday season because of the memory of this. I got at my worst at the psych ward during Christmas that year cause I was locked up for my own safety and I remembered the pain of Christmas 1992, the year I learned at age 7 that Santa was not real. I would never do that to a child. Santa Claus is forever. I wonder in the two months I was in a coma following my attempt if I was even grieving Santa then despite being in a deep coma. People ask now how I feel being wheel chair bound for life because of my attempt at age 19 and I say "it is not as bad as learning their is no Santa".

Apparently my first words after being in a coma for four months were "did Santa come back", no joke. My life will never be the same.

RIP Santa Innocence

Source(s): Diagnosed with Bipolar Depression, Generalized Anxiety, Dissociative Personality Disorder, and Eating Disorder. All due to loss of innocence in 1992

Not really not for me anyway

I never believed in him. We were taught it was just a fun story. We used to leave cookies out for my dad.

• Pyrus

Nope. People still got to give and get presents, and pretend to be Santa Claus simply for the fun of it. Christmas is all about giving joy in the end :)