How do you call out LYING customers while remaining professional?

Something I notice while working in customer service--whether it be as a cashier, a CS agent on the phone, a salesperson--you will constantly get people either trying to get something for free or flat out trying to rip the company off. The ones that burn me up the most are the people at the register who say... show more Something I notice while working in customer service--whether it be as a cashier, a CS agent on the phone, a salesperson--you will constantly get people either trying to get something for free or flat out trying to rip the company off.

The ones that burn me up the most are the people at the register who say "Hey, I gave you a $20!" when you know damn well they gave you a $10--I had someone hold up a line of about 20 people smack in the middle of lunch hour after she aggresively insisted she gave me a $100, and I had to go get the manager and take the till to the office to balance it just to make sure I hadn't completely zoned out. Unsurprisingly when we came back, she was gone--I wanted to cave her head in.

Now working as a CS rep on the phone, I constantly get people fabricating stories because they don't realize we log and make notes on ALL calls, and that we can see that they called previously and gave another agent a different story. Or they make up a story about an agent promising something while unaware of how our protocols work as well as what we are and aren't authorized to do.

It seriously gets me hot to where I want to call their bullshìt out right there....obviously I can't, or I'd be out of a job though. How do you professionally let someone know that they are lying and you aren't buying it? It's an insult to the intelligence!