We put an offer and the agent has been in contact but has not told us it if they are going to reject or approve or send a counter offer?

The Seller's agent has been talking to our realtor, but does not give her a direct answer. She keeps saying the the owners are out of town or that they were not able to communicate? Does this mean she is making excuses and the seller is not interested? I wish we can get an upfront response to be able to move on and not have to overthink.

Update:

Okay so today we received a counter offer the Seller wants us to pay the one year home warranty? Worth it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Pam
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

    It is up to your buyer's agent who is working for you to get these answers. Let your agent know that if you don't have a definitive answer within 24 hours, you are withdrawing your offer and want your deposit back if you put one down. Then keep it moving. There's other houses to see and you don't have to have your time wasted by these people.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    It means she doesn't know and she can't give you an answer because the seller hasn't decided yet.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    If the seller wasn't interested, they'd say so. They don't have an answer yet.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    This is why you ALWAYS put a time deadline in your offers. When I was in the business, I NEVER wrote an open-ended offer, which is what it sounds like you have. The seller can drag it out as long as they feel like, hoping to get other offers in the meantime.

    I never played that game. If the seller's agent had some reason why I couldn't personally present the offer and get an acceptance, rejection or counter, one of the three, before I walked out of the seller's house, then I would tell the agent, "I have an offer that expires at midnight tonight. Is your seller going to make themselves available? If we can do it tomorrow, then I will get my buyer to extend the offer until midnight tomorrow." This lit a fire under that agent.

    In any case, my buyers never gave a seller more than 24 hours to make a decision. If no decision was made by that time, the offer expired and my buyers moved on to something else.

    This tells me that the agent you are working with is not that sharp.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

    If they are not saying the offer is accepted, they are still considering or they aren't interested...either way...its not accepted at this time.

    Sellers agent could be stalling hoping for another offer in the meantime, before yours expires...

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    No, it means they haven't accepted the offer at this point. How long ago did you do it? If you went way lower they may be hoping for a better offer. Your agent should have put a date they must respond to your offer on the offer.

    Source(s): Mortgage lender 33 years.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Tend to this with your agent and not what I think you are about to do and contact the seller that would be highly inappropriate given you both have agents. Get with YOUR agent withdraw the offer and as suggested resubmit with 48 hours to respond I have even seen 24 hours. IF POSSIBLE under your offer and contract.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    First the offer should have a date for acceptance. If not withdraw the offer and submit a new one with a date for acceptance. I'd only give the seller 48 hours to respond.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    Your offer should have an expiration date on it. If it doesn't, then state law will dictate when it expires.

    If you don't get an request to extend the offer by that time, the offer is void.

    If they don't make a decision by that time, the offer is void.

    There is no way for us to guess, anymore than you can, on whether the family is really out of town or just stalling.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Unless your agent is a ding-dong, your offer has a date and time of expiration. If the seller hasn't accepted or countered by the offer's expiration, you're done and can move on.

    They are not required to respond to your offer AT ALL so stop being an entitled snowflake. This is precisely why offers expire as opposed to being indefinite.

    ETA: Yes I read that part. It's irrelevant. And yes, if the offer hasn't yet expired, you're being entitled AND impatient.

    • Lourdes9 months agoReport

      Did you not read the part where I said the seller agent is keeping CONTACT with us. That is not being entitled.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.