Is there something to apply to bathroom caulk to loosen it up before scraping it away?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I learned this little trick to remove bathroom caulking. it is super easy and does not make a huge mess.

Tools needed:

a scraper

a blow dryer

Take the blow dryer and heat up a small section of the caulking, loosen it with the scraper and it should come out in one piece. Slowly move the blow dryer along the caulking as you remove it. Scrape away any stray pieces of caulking.

Easy.

To make perfect new caulking lines, simply put painter's tape along both sides of where you are caulking. Apply the caulking and with a wet finger, smooth it out and remove excess caulking with your finger. While the caulking is still wet, remove the tape, keeping it taught as you peel it away. You should allow the caulking to cure for about 24 hours before getting it wet.

Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

In actuality, you don't want that. Caulk can be taken out with a flat bladed tool much more easily when it is hard than when it is soft or goopy. You'll end up with it smearing everywhere. I've taken out caulk by just running a razor along the tub edge on both sides. It comes right out. You may want to clean up with mineral spirits, but as an old DIY'er, doing it this way will give you much less headaches.

• 8 months ago

not that i know of. and i've never had a problem removing old caulk -- the removal doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to allow new caulk to be applied and to seal

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Yes you can find it on homedepot and osh

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Several companies make a product marketed for that. https://amzn.to/2LBGeKp

Anything you might have that dissolves or softens latex (paints) should work.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.