Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 9 months ago

My landlord is doing some suspicious things?

I went and viewed a rental on August 28th and filled out an application and i got approved and all of a sudden on September 1st she sent a group text that said ¨potential tenants its the first of the month and whoever get´s here first with the deposit of $1300 gets the house¨ That was ridiculous so i hurried and rushed to the house and paid the $1300 and then they started heckling me to pay the full rent for September when i wasnt even ready to move in. I told them from the beginning that i wouldnt be able to move in until the end of September. A hurricane was coming to our city and i got a call from the landlord pressing me for rent, i was told i need to pay them at least $400 i did that and the landlord went out of town for a week and when i was ready to move in they said they were still out of town. I ended up having to pay my current landlord an extra $1200 for rent because i havent moved out yet. Now that they are back in town they told me they need me to move in now and pay them the money or they will move forward with someone else. Isnt this crazy??? Shouldnt my rent be prorated, how should i handle this?

I told them prior to move in that i wouldn´t be able to move in til the end of the month and as i said when i contacted them about moving in they left town for a week and also decided to put new tile down on the house kitchen floor so i wouldnt have been able to move in anyway

Maybe i wasnt speaking with enough clarity. I was told by them that even though i was moving in at the end of the month that the security deposit will HOLD THE RENTAL!!! I have that in text and in a voicemail that they left me. I honestly dont have a problem paying the full months rent its just the rushing

• Pam

OMG they really scammed you. I'm so sorry. They sound shady and I'm so sorry that you even fell for that routine of whoever gets here first. They probably have had trouble renting it or they're not the real owners and are scamming you out of your money. No real landlord has a free for all for every Tom Dick and Harry to run over with their money. Did you sign a lease? Did you get a receipt for the money you paid? Did you sign ANYTHING that obligates them to rent you the apartment? Did you SEE the apartment? If not, you are probably out of your cash I'm sorry to say.

It is not suspicious and it is not crazy. The place was ready for renting as of September 1st. Why should "they" lose a month of rent because you are not ready? Either pay for September and consider renting as of Sept 1 or - if you have not yet signed a lease, tell them you have changed your mind, and be prepared to lose your deposit. Next time, realize that you do NOT get to run things. They own the place and they run the place and when it is ready on Sept 1 - THAT'S WHEN you owe rent, if you are going to rent the place.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Your fault. You owe not only the deposit but first month's rent, which is September. It doesn't matter WHAT you told them. You can delay moving in until next July if you want, but you owe starting September 1st. Why should they lose the whole month of September? Explain that. You got yourself into this because of your overeagerness and not thinking things through.

• Judy

Nobody much cares when you move in. Why would your rent be prorated? Sounds like it was YOUR decision not to move on the 1st.

You should buy your own house already because looking at your question history you have a lot of tenant / landlord issues.

Get your money back. You are just seeing an indication of how they will act in the future. Are you sure that they are the owners?

you should ask for your money back or move in.

they asked for the rent because they could have rented it to someone who would move right in. since you told them you couldn`t move in until the end of Sept they took your rent money and saved you the place as if you moved in.

You could not expect them to leave it empty and not get rent money for a month so since you didn`t move in, you still owe for another month.

• Cei

This is not right.

You should have pulled out in receipt of the first text.

its possible, maybe you should turn them in

A fool and his money are soon parted, hope you got a receipt and the manager was the one collecting money