My landlord is doing some suspicious things?

I went and viewed a rental on August 28th and filled out an application and i got approved and all of a sudden on September 1st she sent a group text that said ¨potential tenants its the first of the month and whoever get´s here first with the deposit of $1300 gets the house¨ That was ridiculous so i hurried and... show more I went and viewed a rental on August 28th and filled out an application and i got approved and all of a sudden on September 1st she sent a group text that said ¨potential tenants its the first of the month and whoever get´s here first with the deposit of $1300 gets the house¨ That was ridiculous so i hurried and rushed to the house and paid the $1300 and then they started heckling me to pay the full rent for September when i wasnt even ready to move in. I told them from the beginning that i wouldnt be able to move in until the end of September. A hurricane was coming to our city and i got a call from the landlord pressing me for rent, i was told i need to pay them at least $400 i did that and the landlord went out of town for a week and when i was ready to move in they said they were still out of town. I ended up having to pay my current landlord an extra $1200 for rent because i havent moved out yet. Now that they are back in town they told me they need me to move in now and pay them the money or they will move forward with someone else. Isnt this crazy??? Shouldnt my rent be prorated, how should i handle this?
Update: I told them prior to move in that i wouldn´t be able to move in til the end of the month and as i said when i contacted them about moving in they left town for a week and also decided to put new tile down on the house kitchen floor so i wouldnt have been able to move in anyway
Update 2: Maybe i wasnt speaking with enough clarity. I was told by them that even though i was moving in at the end of the month that the security deposit will HOLD THE RENTAL!!! I have that in text and in a voicemail that they left me. I honestly dont have a problem paying the full months rent its just the rushing