John asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

Has anyone heard the story about the old man who could look at the open water and determine where he was or something or the sort? Any info?

• Fred

I have heard stories of sailors who were captured by German raiders and their ships sunk who were kept in the holds of the ships. If they even got a glimpse of the night stars they apparently knew where they were. Some of the old sailors of the South Pacific apparently could navigate by the stars over long voyages and there have even been suggestions that the original inhabitants of South America may have arrived by primitive boat or similar from the South Pacific Islands.

Hawaiian and polynesian people used to sail all over the South Pacific using the stars to navigate by. THye could tell where they were and where they were going just by looking up. It is not looking at the water, but looking at the stars, and many seafarers knew how to do it, because it was passed on all the time.

I am sure there are some today who know how, but we have gps so I doubt if many people use the old way.

• Brian

You may be talking about the Polynesian "waterman" tradition.