Can you get through TSA with a paper license in both NY and TN?

5 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    No. Just get to the airport an extra hour early so TSA has time to verify your identity. Know your social security number and take whatever ID you do have - even if it is a school ID.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 months ago

    What do you mean by paper license? If you mean a laser photocopy, then no. If you mean a temporary, then it is still no. Acceptable licenses need to be in laminated form along with the accompanying security features.

    If you don't have that, then there are alternatives. (See link.)

    If you don't have any of the aforementioned IDs, then look under "Forgot Your ID"... Also bring along any cards that has your name on it such as bank/credit card, school ID, library ID, etc. It will all help. Come to the airport earlier than usual so as to give the screening officers time to establish your identity.

    Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 months ago

    No, nit with a paper license. You need the full time one and next year you will need one that's compliant with real ID requirements. A passport is always acceptable.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    TSA rules apply the same everywhere in the US. They don't have different rules in different states.

    TSA's website very clearly says "A temporary driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification."

    If you don't have any form of ID on their list, then this is the all they say:

    "In the event you arrive at the airport without proper ID, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. By providing additional information, TSA has other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight.

    If your identity cannot be verified, you will not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint."

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

    If the license has the star on it, its possible. That is the new rule coming out this fall. What you should do is get a passport. Yes it costs about $60 but its worth it because you can just go anywhere.

    Also TN to NY is about an 11 hour drive. Sometimes you can make that trip faster than the airport trip. It all depends on where you go. Will you go to Washington dullus or though Chicago. Either of them will depend on the weather in the three locations and whether United airlines thinks that they need to have pilots for that flight.

    Check you license for the star, and check the TSA website. Then you might just have to go to the DMV and upgrade your license. If it were me, I would just drive. You can go from the NY/NJ boarder to Cleveland TN in about 11 hours and its only 806 miles. For my car that is one tank of fuel each way.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.