Can a property manager ban a person from the property for not passing a background check?

I love in an apartment complex. My boyfriend applied to live with me in the apartment but was denied because of 2 felony’s that were 5 years ago. I understand he can’t LIVE here but one of the property managers says he can’t even be on property. Can she do that?

He has never caused an issue or been complained about. No paperwork was ever filed against him.

I feel she is on a power trip.

What is the deal? Thank you in advance.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Anyone with a felony conviction can be banned from being on the property, that wold include guests and visitors.  This is for the safety of all tenants living in the property.

That has nothing to do with a "power trip."  If you do not like it give the needed notice, 30 days if month to month or the end of the lease if you have a lease, and move out.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Like everything else, this might depend on state laws and county or city codes, but if this is a big complex, they're very aware of what they can and can't do. Someone mentioned liability, and this is a huge issue.

Also, it probably doesn't work in your favor that he originally applied to live there. She'll assume your plan is to have him "live" there, but as a guest, not a tenant on the lease. This is a no-no in any well run complex.

It's not a power trip, though (unless she's acting like a jerk). She's just doing her job.

• 2 months ago

No, the landlord can't unreasonably bar you from having guests unless the guest violates a term of the lease or the law, the contract (lease) you signed with them probably has written in it that you are allowed guests. Landlord isn't going to like it but she can't bar this guest for no reason other than criminal history.

• Pam
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I don't think they have a legal right to tell him to stay away. He's your guest. There is no restraining order or legal reason for them to forbid him to visit you. Unless he commits a crime on their property, they need to mind their own business. He may not be able to live there but they can't keep him from visiting.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It is not a power trip. Any landlord would ban such a person. It's a matter of liability. He is obligated to ALL of his tenants, not just you. YES, he has every right to ban any and all guests of any tenant, but he is unlikely to do so without a good reason. Your bf represents an excellent reason for banning him from setting foot on his property.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes she can........................

• 2 months ago

Tell the property manager she better have a valid reason for HER obtaining a personal restraining order against him, because if she interferes with your legal right to have guests come visit, you will sue for breach of contract under the principal that you are being denied the right to quiet enjoyment of your home.

Just be aware that this could put you on their 'crap list', so be very, very careful in having him stay overnight. They will be looking for the least little thing to evict you on.

Update: All of you would find yourselves on the losing end of a lawsuit. Management can deny tenancy to the ex-convict, and they did here. But they cannot ban someone who has not broken any law since being released from prison. Legal tenants are allowed to have visitors, including ex-convicts. An exception would be if the ex-con was a known sex offender that could not go anywhere there were children and the apartment complex was home to children.

Someone mentioned that the management might be afraid that the guy would try to become an illegal resident, having been denied. While that's a valid fear, there is a legal remedy to that if it is attempted, and that is eviction of the tenant that allows it. You can't ban someone that hasn't done anything just because you're afraid they MIGHT do something.

If you were the owner of properties that are exempt from Fair Housing Act rules, you can ban anyone you want for any reason. This property manager cannot.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

he might not be allowed to be there cause of that

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes,she can...dump the thug.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, the property manager has the right to ban him, and to call the police if he is seen on the property.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.