Anonymous

Hiring Manager Downgrading Me?

I went for an interview last week and I thought it went very well. This morning I received email from the hiring manager saying "Thank you. My one concern is your lack of experience and ours is a very challenging field." Is this mean rejection? What should I reply?

He doesn't sound like a terribly great communicator but that would be your cue to chime in with the reason why you would be a good fit for the job if you have one. You really gotta put up a fight with these people rather than just giving in and accepting no for an answer. If you always took no for an answer you'd never have a job. That's the climate of the modern job market. There's a lot of rejection and you gotta hold people at gunpoint. If that's the job you really want, you gotta keep trying and go get it. The constitution only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You gotta catch it yourself. The kicker is it's like a slippery, oiled pig that keeps getting away.

• Pam

Well, yes, they decided to go with a candidate with more experience. If you do reply, respond with a sincere thank you for the opportunity to meet with them about the position and that you respect their decision. However, add in that you hope you can be considered as a viable candidate in the future, once you have more experience to offer. Wording the response like that shows them that you are gracious, yet have ambitions to join the company in the future when you have more to offer. Hope that helped.

Was that the end of the email? It sounds like he forgot to finish it. I would email back "Does this mean that you are willing to give me a chance?"

It's not a good sign. They may take a chance on you IF they can't find anyone else. Keep looking.

They see you requiring a lot of training and/or coaching.

It sounds like poorly worded "no"

hes probably not interested,i probably wouldnt bother replying

I think it's ok but of course if you are a Millenial that has never had anyone tell you the truth I can see how you would think it is mean.