ItsBitzo asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Does anyone have a super simple pot roast recipe?

I used the one below and followed it to a T, but the roast was still bloody raw in the middle, it had no flavor, and the carrots weren’t cooked properly either.

The reviews said it was the easiest & most delicious recipe ever. It didn’t meet my husband’s standards, so I had to throw it away.

Recipe said to take 3 lb chuck roast & sliced onions and put them in pan. Cover with cream of mushroom soup, wrap with foil & cook for 1 hour at 325F. Add beef broth (if dry), diced potatoes and carrots, recover & cook for 2-3 hours.

Epic fail.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best answer

The trick is low and slow, just cook it for longer, A crock pot or slow cooker would help with pot roasts.

Personally, the one you cooked could have been returned to the heat with enough liquid for a longer time.

• 2 months ago

dice up onions carrots celery n a couple of large potatoes...throw into a slow cooker/crock pot.....brown/fry roast in a bit of oil in a pan on the stove..brown all sides.....(couple minutes on each side)...then put ontop of the onions carrots celery n potatoes...add salt/pepper....cup water....i also add some HP Sauce (A1 sauce in the USA) ..put lid on, turn crockpot to low and cook 8-10hrs* VOILA! DONE¬! ONE POT WONDER!...... NEVER FAILS* meat will be cooked n tender as will veggies :)

• 2 months ago

I have a no fail recipe. I use a Tuscan Oven, which is a clay roaster with a lid. The Tuscan oven is made out of terra cotta and is soaked in water before use. It is put, with food in it, in a cold oven so the pot heats up as the oven does, to prevent cracking. The water in the terra cotta turns into steam when it heats up, thereby making anything cooked in it, very juicy.

However, I have made the exact same recipe in a regular metal covered roasting pan.

Set oven at 325 degrees

Brown Pot Roast meat in a skillet.

In a covered roasting pan:

Line with thickly sliced onions

Add Pot Roast

Add large pieces of Carrots, Celery, Quartered Potatoes, whole mushrooms & one minced garlic clove.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper

1/2 cup of red wine.

1 large bay leaf

Cover Pot Roast and vegetables. Leave to cook for about three hours, until the meat falls apart. The juices from the meat and veggies will create liquid in the roasting pan so the meal will not dry out.

It sounds like your meal did not get fully cooked due to one of two things: Either the oven temperature was not hot enough or you did not have the dish covered with a lid, because otherwise, that meal should have been cooked after three hours for a three pound pot roast.

• 2 months ago

First, get a probe thermometer. I roast eye of round to 128° and let it cool before slicing thin for rare roast beef. A pot roast can go to 205°, and cooks best in a 250° oven. It will cook faster in a 325° oven, but won't be as tender. You can roast root veggies on a sheet pan in the same oven with the roast, but pull them as soon as they are tender. Buy a pack of roast beef gravy mix and prepare per package directions. Assemble the meat and veggies in a bowl, and reheat everything with boiling hot gravy.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The "super simplest" is just to brown the meat, add water, and simmer for an hour or two. But that would be incredibly bland, so I after I brown the meat, I add a little bit of red wine, minced garlic, and onion, then add other vegetables near the end of cooking time. I pepper it early on, but I don't put salt on until it is served.)

Sometimes I put all the vegetables in near the beginning of cooking, as put them (and the juices) in the blender, making a great "gravy", then serve the meat with the gravy over noodles. It's almost impossible to make a bad pot roast ANY way you cook it. The foil, onion soup (and maybe mushrooms) makes a very good no-fuss, no mess pot roast.

• 2 months ago

That sounds really good rn I wanna learn how to cook this

• 2 months ago

If that failed then your oven is not heating to the temperature you set it to. Or perhaps you turned it off by mistake when you added the carrots etc.

If things don't get fully cooked there are only 2 possible reasons: not enough heat or not enough time.

The only simpler recipe would be to do everything the same, add the beef broth in the beginning and leave the whole thing in the oven for 3 hours, and cook the potatoes and carrots separately.

Can't think why you'd throw it away. All you had to do was keep cooking it.

• 2 months ago

I use a "7-Bone" roast or Chuck Roast.

Season it then brown.

I remove it from the pan and add in the veggies and brown them a bit in the drippings. (veggies are carrots, celery, and I will add a few red potatoes)

Add the meat back in.

Then...this is the good stuff....

Carton of beef broth or the "better than bouillon" and water.

1 Cup horseradish

1 Can Whole berry cranberry sauce.

A bit of cinnamon

A bit more salt and pepper , easy on the salt depending on the broth.

All this goes into the Dutch Oven and then into the oven. 325 for between 4 and 6 hours.

Thicken the gravy and this is great served with wide noodles.

• 2 months ago

You did not tell us WHY the recipe failed. Is the oven working properly, Were the potatoes and carrots over or under cooked, could you have cooked the roast more time, did you add any liquid to the first baking time or second cooking time, or was the roast frozen when you started cooking it or was it completely thawed out?

• ItsBitzo
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I don’t know why it failed. The only theory I have is that I’m just a loser who can’t do anything but disappoint my husband on a daily basis. I cooked in the oven the day before and it seemed to be working fine

• 2 months ago

Recipes aren't magic potions. "C6,H9,N1+PB12Au7 creates 16 grams of Styrofoam." It's more like a guideline. "Go to the club, meet eyes with a cute girl and take her home."

Already your recipe sounds way too complicated and not that good.

Flour a chuck roast.

Fry it on high for a few seconds each side.

Put in onion and garlic.

Pour in broth and spices.

Put in carrots and potatoes

After a light boil for a few mins cover and simmer on the tiny back burner for up to a few hours. You are breaking down the connective tissue, not cooking the meat at this point.

It should never become dry because it's immersed in a braise. If you keep taking it out and messing with it, it's going to seize up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.