Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

A young guy under 30 called me elderly to my face, I’m female under 56? Should I call him out if he does it again or ignore ir?

New alert:

40, 50, 60, 70 are not old!

when i was 28, an elderly woman slapped me silly.

I call the people at work who are over 45 elderly, they love it :P 56 isn’t elderly though. If he is under 30 then chances are that his brain hasn’t even fully developed yet so not sure why he thinks his age is better lol

Age is relative like someone said, when I was little I used to worry that my mom would die soon because she was so old!!!! ...she was in her 20’s 😂

• edward

You’re past middle aged, you are elderly

• Lita

You should stop overreacting and understand that it is all a matter of perspective. To someone under 30 someone in their fifties is old.

• GEEGEE

I remember being in 5th grade or so, and the class was talking about the year 2000 and how old we would be that year. I turned 52 in 2000 but remember thinking back then that that was positively ancient. Now that I am 61, well, it's no old at all haha. I'd be inclined to ignore him.

At 'under 56' (if you mean 55, why not say so?) you may seem elderly to him. But if I were you I would laugh and let it go.

Yeah well when my kid was in elementary school and I was 40 he thought I was the crypt keeper. Ignore him, he's a jerk. Or come up with some humorous reply.

• 70 is pretty old, considering that the average life expectancy is about 78.7 years.

60 is getting up there.

50 is older, but if you take care of yourself, you should still be in fairly good shape.

Stop kidding yourself by saying that being 60 or 70 doesn't mean that you're old. You are at that point. Just own it.

• mayona

nice comment

i would ignore him, if he knows it bothers you he will do it even more

Everything is relative. You actually are elderly relative to him. I'm 56 myself and while I don't consider myself old, I don't care if someone thinks I am.