Landlord is attempting to make us pay for damages that was not our fault?

This time around last year, my significant other and I moved into a two bedroom apartment. We were in urgent need of a home so the landlord allowed for us to move our furniture and items into the home before repairing anything . After settling our items , the landlord decided to not finish re-modeling the... show more This time around last year, my significant other and I moved into a two bedroom apartment. We were in urgent need of a home so the landlord allowed for us to move our furniture and items into the home before repairing anything . After settling our items , the landlord decided to not finish re-modeling the apartment.

The tiles on the floor were broken and some were even missing, two of the closet doors had holes in them, the cabinets and drawers weren’t attached properly and were missing a couple of boards and the windows were missing the screens. Some of them were even loose and wouldn’t open at ALL.

Recently, one of the windows fell on the kitchen sink and bent the faucet so now there’s a crack and water leaks from the crack and not the head of the faucet.

We were in the process of moving out, only a week left and now our landlord wants to make us pay for those damages that were not our fault. HE claimed he would fix them prior or a few weeks after we moved in and he DIDNT.

Our mistake was not taking pictures of the damages prior to settling in.

My question is, does he have a right to do this and can he get away with it? Is there any way to avoid paying for those damages? Also, is it mandatory for him to return the security deposit ?

Thank you