Why isn't the doctor doing anything about my mom's hepatitis C?

The virus is dormant within her system and every few months the doctor checks on it. Why won't they give my mom medicine to make it go away? If we just leave it there she'll die! we have a family friend who's in the hospital right now hoping and praying for a donor because of hepatitis C. Do you know how hard it is to find one? I would offer to help but I plan on donating my liver to my mom.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

ACUTE VIRAL HEPATITIS IS INFLAMMATION OF THE LIVER CAUSED BY INFECTION WITH THE HEPATITS VIRUS C.

The course of HC is somewhat unpredictable. The acute illness is usually mild, but liver function may improve and then worsen repeatedly for several months.

With the A and B C seems to  be the likely one to become chronic-- about a 75 % chance . Through usually mild and often without symptoms H C is a serious problem because about 20% of the affected people eventually develop cirrhosis. 

People with acute H may require hospitalization, however in most cases treatments are not necessary.

Chronic H is  inflammation of the liver that last for over 6 month's,,chronic H , though much less common than the acute H , can persist for years; even decades. It is usually quite mild and doesn't produce any symptoms or significant liver damage. In some cases, though, continued inflammation slowly damages the liver, eventually producing cirrhosis and liver failure.

Many people have C H for yrs without developing progressive liver damage, For others, the disease gradually worsens. When this occurs and the disease is the result of viral H B or C infection, the antiviral agent interferon-alpha may stop the inflammation. However the drug is expensive, adverse effects are common, and H tends to recur once treatment is stopped. Therefore, such treatment is reserved for selected people with the infection. Ribavirin with interferon-alpha may be better treatment.

Cirrhosis is the  destruction of normal liver tissue that leaves nonfunctioning scar tissue surrounding areas of functioning liver tissue.

While dialysis is an option for folks with kidney disease, no similar treatment is available for people with severe liver disease. Liver transplantation is the only option when the liver can no longer function. Some people who might have benefited from liver transplantation die before a suitable liver becomes available.

Although the success rate of liver transplantation is somewhat lower than that of kidney   transplantation,  70-80 % of the recipients survive for at least a yr or so. Most of these survivors are recipients whose liver was destroyed by primary biliary cirrhosis, hepatitis or the use of a medication toxic to the liver. Liver transplantation as treatment of liver cancer is rarely successful. Surprisingly; liver transplants are rejected less vigorously than transplants of other organs, such as the kidney and heart. Nonetheless, immunosuppressants drugs must be taken after surgery, If the recipient has an enlarged liver, nausea, pain, fever, jaundice, or abnormal liver function as shown by blood test results the health care provider may preform a needle biopsy(remove a small tissue sample),then examine this under a microscope, The biopsy results help determine whether the liver is being rejected and whether the dosage of immunosuppressant drugs should be increased.

Source(s): nurse
  • 3 months ago

Treatment should be taken after ascertaining genotype of HCV and quantitative overload.

The initial recommended treatment depends on the type of hepatitis C virus with which a person is infected.

HCV genotype 1a: 12 weeks of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir OR 12 to 24 weeks of paritaprevir, ombitasvir, dasabuvir, and

ribavirin.

HCV genotype 1b: 12 weeks of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir OR 12 weeks of paritaprevir, ombitasvir, and dasabuvir.

HCV genotype 2: 12 to 16 weeks of sofosbuvir and ribavirin.

HCV genotype 3: 12 weeks of sofosbuvir, ribavirin, and pegylated interferon

HCV genotype 4: 12 weeks of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir OR paritaprevir, ritonavir, ombitasvir, and ribavirin, OR 24 weeks of sofosbuvir and ribavirin

HCV genotype 5 or 6: sofosbuvir and ledipasvir.

Treatment in India is very cheap and affordable.

Links:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_C

• 3 months ago

Hep C is the least of the problems. Most people with Hep C also have HIV.

• kelvin
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

what a huge gigantic load of BS and i would know as i had chronic Hepatitis C and never had HIV

• Edna
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You CAN'T donate your liver to your mom, and no doctor would allow you to do so. You MIGHT be able to donate a piece of your liver (if you are a "match" for your mom), but you can't donate your entire liver. Your liver is a vital organ. If you donated your liver, then YOU would die.

For your mom to receive a liver transplant, she would first have to be placed on the transplant list & wait for a donated liver from a recently deceased person to be donated. Donated livers that would be a "match" for her are VERY difficult to find.

If your mom is not first cured of Hep C, then a donated liver would do no good. She would STILL have Hep C, and it would destroy her "new" liver.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • bubba
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Sadly there are very few ways to treat Hep C or any of the Hep alfabetz

• 3 months ago

You need to believe the doc

• 3 months ago

In most people Hep C never causes any symptoms and never needs treatment.   I have had Hep C for 45 years and its never had any effect on my liver and never been treated.  Most insurance companies will not pay for Hep C treatment unless it becomes symptomatic.  Its because the medicine is ridiculously expensive - close to $100000.   Your mom will be fine as long as she has no symptoms and docs keep monitoring.  If symptoms pop up, the doc can start treatment and prevent liver damage from occurring.

• kelvin
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

well this is even a bigger load of BS and if you had it that long you would be very very sick

• 3 months ago

I had Hep C and received a fearsomely expensive medication for it named Harvoni. It worked like a charm in only 90 days, but I couldn't have afforded it if I hadn't had extensive medical insurance.

Hep C has a very long period of incubation, and when it does appear, the course of the disease is slow. Rely on your doctor to tell you the truth about it, or go online to the CDC for more information.

• kelvin
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

looked up the cost and treatment plan and i call BS

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.