Anonymous

I have no idea where we want to go?

My husband and I are going through a divorce. On top of that my company will be closing the branch I am currently in June 1st. We will be putting the house on the market in the near future.

They’ve already given me 2 options both are very far from family

1.) I can move back to South Carolina to the previous branch i worked in. I found the people to be very unwelcoming to outsiders who weren’t from the town and my (ex) and I felt very out of place. In addition, the cost of living has skyrocketed there.

(I’d be 12 hours from my family)

2.) I can move to a new branch they recently opened in Oklahoma City. I’ve traveled there and enjoyed Oklahoma City but I’m just not sure what living there would be like. I don’t do well in very rural area’s. I feel like I’d want to spend more time there prior to making a huge move like that.

(20 hours from family)

I enjoy the company I work for and I make good money but this is a hard decision for me to make. Especially now that I won’t have my husband by my side.

Any advice for me?

I feel kinda just stuck and a little sad too

You could look for a job at another company in a place where you would prefer to live.

• Sam

12 hours vs 20 hours away? Pretty close imo? I would take where the job and cost of living and commute trade off is best and where you think you would be happy.

• Amy

I'd take the chance on the place you don't know, rather than move back to the place you know you dislike.

As for rural, OKC is a bigger city than any in South Carolina.

A 12-hour drive might seem easier than a 20-hour drive, but 12 hours each way is long enough that you're not going to make the trip any more often.

On the other hand, based on those distances your family might be in the NYC area? In which case the Amtrak is an option for travel to SC but not to OK, making the long trip a lot more comfortable.

Take a 2 week vacation to OC. Look around, talk to people, visit places and try and get a feel for the place, other than your initial impression. If you haven't got vacation time left, ask your employer if you can take an unpaid 2 weeks off to go to OC to help you decide. Tell them it is a very difficult decision and you want to make the right decision.

I wouldn't take either... I'd look for another job closer to family..

1. Ask if there are any other options.

2. Remember that this does not have to be permanent, you can pick a location and if you hate it you can pursue a relocation - either internally with the company or a new job with a new company.

3. Oklahoma City is not rural. Its a major urban city. The STATE of Oklahoma has lots of rural farmland type area outside the city, but the city itself is a big city with all the amenities and services you will need if you want a big city life.

4. Look at it this way - neither city is close to family, so its not like you'll have the option to just go have coffee with family members after work. Either way, you'll have to plan and schedule trips to visit and that will require either flying for a weekend trip or taking some vacation time to drive. So the cities are both equal in this regard. It sounds like you enjoyed Oklahoma more, so I'd lean that way based on what you're saying.

Good luck.

Move to San Francisco

Just so you know... there are these things called planes.

It can get you from OKC to Phily/Baltimore area in a few hours, not a couple of days.

The same thing works going from Charleston to Phily/Baltimore...

Even all the way on the west coast.

Could you at least ASK if there is another place that you could work at. Or you could tell them if a job position opens up at (name a city good for you), then could you transfer there.

• Maxi

Decide which is the best for you...so you have a job to go to and in the time being start looking for and applying for jobs you want where you wish to live......... divorce is rough however look on the positive side, you don't have to make decisions based on what is good for you both, just what you want and it also enables you to do things and go places you wouldn't have done when married........ your family have their own lives and it is not so bad being away from them, you can fly/drive or take the train and visit without issue and they can you........... you also find who really cares about you and who doesn't if you are not living around the corner and people have to make the effort to visit