Why was I stared at by my classmates at a McDonalds?

I remember in Senior Year of high school - one night, I went to a McDonalds to order a takeaway.

When I got there, there was a birthday party. The birthday person was infact a girl from my year level, and her friends are family were there. They were all standing at the front counter. Half the friends I also recognised from school, the other half were unknown to me.

The classmates didn't know I was there. Until when I got my takeaway from the counter, I turned around to leave and facing them. They all suddenly stopped talking and froze.

Even as I walked pass them, they were silent.

I actually didn't think about it at all, but looking back, I did feel a bit uncomfortable that they all stopped talking and what they were doing because they saw me.

Were they just surprised to see me?

Jeeze. Kids are weird in Australia. There is no way in hell an American high school senior would celebrate their birthday in a damn McDonald's. At that age, your classmates were old enough to know that, and they were probably just embarrassed that you caught them there with their party hats on & happy meals in hand. So they starred at you hoping you wouldn't go back to school blab. And here you are, years later, telling the whole world.

You walked pass them? They were stunned that a journalism student couldn't spell 'past', most likely. I would be too.

Millennials.........😐