Should there be a nuclear power plant on the Moon?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Until we have a colony there, why?

• 2 months ago

A nuclear power plant works by creating steam and mechanically turning the seam tubine to create electricity. There is no water on the moon. Water is heavy and could not be shipped to the moon. Uranium is very heavy and so is a containment structure. The idea is ludicress. The moon does not have an atmosphere. For this reason, sunlight is very powerful at the lunar surface. Using this strong solar power is a way to make electricity on the moon.

• goring
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If we can construct a viable fusion reactor with at least 30 % efficiency, we would have no need to build a plant in another planet

• 2 months ago

I suppose you could, but the design would have to be changed to account for the different conditions on the Moon.

And it wouldn't be the most practical solution to the power problem.

You're talking about an environment where there's no atmosphere to refract or reflect sunlight, with no hydrological cycle to produce clouds that could block out sunlight, and that's tidally locked to the Earth, meaning its days and nights are two weeks long.

It would be more efficient, all things considered, to simply locate your planned colony near the lunar terminator and build solar panels along the terminator which are able to periodically adjust their orientation so they're always facing the Sun.

That would give you a power source which didn't require you to constantly supply your own fuel, didn't come with the additional risks of using nuclear material or require nearly as much hazardous maintenance and upkeep, didn't require any specialized hazardous waste disposal facilities or procedures, and which could continue supplying you with partial power if one or more panels go down, whereas if you have to scram your reactor, you're left with nothing but whatever battery power you have in reserve until you're able to repair the reactor and bring it back online.

So yeah, you could build a nuclear reactor on the Moon, but there are other, more efficient solutions for energy production that don't require you to ask the question "I wonder what would happen if tons and tons of rocket fuel carrying several hundred pounds of uranium fuel rods exploded over a major population center," so why would you?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Here's a Colt .45. I need you to get rid of these houseflies in my kitchen.

• 2 months ago

What for,,nothing there to power.

• 2 months ago

Only if we inhabited it

and Fusion would be a better option

Setting it up and the Infrastructure would be difficult

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

Not unless there is a settlement there that needs the power. Any power plant on the moon would be totally useless for the earth.

In any case, the cost to get all of the needed materials to the moon would be absolutely huge.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What for?...…..

• 2 months ago

Not until we need one...

We've used RTGs on the moon; and - for what we had, those were enough. Until we have people there in a permanent fashion, I'd imagine solar panels and RTGs would be enough.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.